Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Stay-cation

Everyone knows that one of the best things about being on a "stay-cation" is being able to stay up late and sleep in.  Watching Christmas specials, catching up with old friends, writing a blog, pretending to wrap presents: these are the things you stay up doing.

But here's the downside: what if you're not allowed to sleep in, because since you're on vacation people think you are there to hang out with them and do their bidding?  This what I've been encountering.

Each morning, starting on Sunday, the phone has awakened me.  I was out late Saturday night, so my mother called me Sunday morning to take her to church.  Monday morning my sister called because she wanted me to take her shopping; after I'd sat up trying to stay awake for the lunar eclipse.  Tuesday morning she called again so she could "finish up" her shopping.  This morning Schmoop-dog called to see if I was going to visit his sister and her kids on Thursday.  I can hardly wait to see who calls me tomorrow!

Perhaps the logical thing to do would be to either a) go to bed earlier; or b) turn off my ringer.  But ever since the year my father got sick and died, I never have my ringer off.  And going to bed early defeats the fun of being on vacation!  And before you even say it: telling people not to call doesn't stop them from doing so.  Then they just send a text because it's "less invasive".  Are you kidding me??

Nope, the thing I have to do is just not complain.  It's the holiday season and there's no time to be cranky, no matter how sleep-deprived I am.  However, I think I might at least turn the ringer down.  Who knows: that just might help!

No comments:

Post a Comment