Friday, December 3, 2010

Attention Wal-Mart Shopper

What is it about Wal-Mart?  People pretend they don't like it, or that it's beneath them to go there.  However: I LOVE it there!  The prices are good, there's a nice variety of items and you can find a lot of items that other stores don't carry.

But here's the downside, at least in my family: when we enter our local supercenter, something comes over us.  It's like we enter into a fugue state; and the next thing we know we are exiting the store with a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff (at least) and we have no recollection of buying it!

Let's take tonight for instance.  Kitty and I went to dinner at her favorite restaurant (shout out to Monty at the Chinatown Buffet!) and we were supposed to go home and wait for Brie to get off of work so we could go to Wal-Mart together.  Since we were already up that way the two of us decided to just go to the store.  I only needed to get some Oil of Olay cloths and a black tee shirt to wear to Vinnie's club next time I go (shout out to the Spotlight!).  Kitty just needed a couple of Christmas "gifts" for Pumpkin.

But once in the store, that fugue state set in.  Right inside the door was a sale on Ocean Spray drinks.  I needed an Ocean Spray drink!  We got to the pet aisle.  Hey: the pets need to try new food!  Kitty got a couple of outfits for Pumpkin.  Hey: Pumpkin needs a Christmas stocking!  And some toys!  We head past the bed and bath section: a new blanket for Kitty!  The fabric aisle: fabric for winter clothes for the Living Dead dolls!  Tee shirts for me!  Pudding for Kitty!  Socks to stay home in!  Toe socks, magic gloves, a birthday present for Schmoop-dog and a Star magazine (everything in it is true!).

By the time we checked out, we couldn't believe what was in the cart and what the cashier had told each of us to pay.  Thank goodness it was payday, but still!  Then on the way home I was having buyer's remorse.  So in my driveway I looked over my receipt, but you know what? I did need all those things!  Especially some items that I'm going to use for stocking stuffers.

So I guess it wasn't a wasted trip.  And it wasn't wasted money.  But I sure wish I could be more cognizant while I'm going through that store; and it happens every time!

And yes Brie was upset when she realized we had gone without her.  But when she saw how much we had spent, she was glad she'd avoided her own "fugue state".  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment