Saturday, December 11, 2010

Blue Christmas

Now that we are in the height of the Christmas season, I'm going to share one of my favorite Christmas memories from when my daughters were young. 

My little family loves the Christmas season.  Besides celebrating what we call the birthday of Jesus, there are all of the traditional festivities: baking, shopping and decorating.  I always bought a live Christmas tree: I would put on the lights and the girls would do the rest.  When I would turn on the lights for the first time, Kitty would do her traditional dance around the tree.  That sight was always priceless! 

I’ve never really liked peppermint candy canes, so it became my mission each year to find different flavored candy canes.  I wasn’t going to eat them, but the kids liked to taste the new ones, and eagerly await the time when they could eat them all!

Brie was fourteen when I discovered blue raspberry candy canes, and they instantly became her favorite.  They were a pretty shade of blue with a dark blue stripe, and must have been yummy judging by how often she kept sneaking them off of the tree, and I’d have to buy more.

It was a week before Christmas and Friday night around   My mother wanted to go to the supermarket, but Robin didn’t feel like taking her.  They called my house and asked if I’d take mom while Robin stayed with the kids.  I said sure; but since Kitty was already asleep Brie wanted to go to the store with us.  So the three of us piled in the car while my sister probably switched the television to MTV, the banned channel in my house!

Brie had brought a couple of candy canes with her, and was happily eating them in the back seat.  My mother finally asked, “Brie, what are you eating back there?”

“Blue raspberry candy canes grammy.”

“That sounds good.  Can I have a piece?”

“Sure.”  She broke off a piece and passed it to her grandmother.

“Mmm, that is delicious!  Can I have another piece?”

“Sure grammy.”

“Honey you are so generous.  I’m going to buy you something at Price Chopper.”

At this point Brie and I started to giggle.  Brie wasn’t so much generous, as devious: she hadn’t told her grandmother that the candy canes turned your mouth blue!  We pulled into the parking lot.

“Ready to go in?” my mother asked.

“Let me show you something first.”  I pulled down her mirrored visor and told her to open her mouth.

When she did, she screamed and we burst out laughing.  “What happened to my mouth?”   Her tongue was blue, her teeth were blue, and it was the funniest thing Brie and I had seen in a long time!

“Grammy, the candy canes turn your mouth blue!” Brie chortled. 

“You two are evil!” my mother said, rubbing at her mouth with a Kleenex, to no avail.   “You should have warned me!”

“And miss this?  Not on your life!” I laughed.

It was the quietest trip through the store, because my mother wouldn’t open her mouth.  And to this day, she NEVER asks us for a taste of a candy cane!

Before Christmas arrives, I'll share a couple of other Christmas memories with you.  Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment