Friday, November 19, 2010

My Marriage in a Nutshell

Phoenix Rising

My husband tried to kill me on more than one occasion.
It must have been the booze or drugs that got his anger raging.
He liked to play Russian Roulette because he had a gun.
Here's the twist he put on that: five bullets, not just one.
He'd hold the pistol to my head until I'd beg and cry.
Then pull the trigger, hear a click: "Not your day to die."
He moved 2 girlfriends in the house 'though not at the same time.
One got pregnant, no surprise.  He said, "The baby's mine."
It didn't seem to matter then that I was pregnant too.
But I was leaving anyway: this I always knew.
When my baby girl was born I took her and her sister
Moved to a quiet, gentle place away from evil 'mister'.
I recovered from abuse; my daughters grew and thrived.
Every day when I wake up I'm thankful I'm alive.
Physical scars heal quickly; emotional ones can linger.
You cannot heal if all you do is point an accusing finger.
I finally forgave my ex although I can't forget.
Now I have the life I want: I won't harbor regrets.
The saying is "no pain no gain" and I know this is true.
From my ashes strength emerged: my Phoenix soars anew.

'Nuff said.  Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment