Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Favorite Thanksgiving Memory

I am so stuffed!  What a great Thanksgiving dinner we had: a lot of great food and family to share it.  Unfortunately I kept falling asleep during the after-dinner video viewing, and my family kept waking me up!  But love them anyway😊

So I promised you my favorite Thanksgiving memory tonight; and I'll be as succinct as possible because I am sooo ready for bed...

It was either 2006 or 2007.  My oldest daughter Brie was living on the west coast, so only my youngest daughter Kitty was home.  As usual, we went over to my mother's house for dinner.  Brie had wanted me to call her when we were having dinner so she could say hi to everyone: her grandmother, my sister and brother and Kitty.

I had put my cell phone in the middle of the kitchen table while we were eating and Brie called.  We had some conversation on speaker phone, and then she asked what we were having because she was nostalgic about my mother's cooking.  I said, "Turkey, stuffing, ham, collard greens, crescent rolls, mashed potatoes, etc. and extra gizzards."   At this point she said, "Gizzards?  What are those?"  I replied, "they're part of the giblets, that are in the little paper bag in the turkey."  To this Brie said, "In the bag?  Are they turkey balls?"  "No they're not turkey balls!" I exclaimed.  At this point, without missing a beat, Kitty said, "I know what balls are."  Then, in a stage whisper that could be heard in the next room, she added, "Scro-tum."

My brother had to get up and leave the room as my sister spit out her food laughing.  Brie was rolling on the other end of the phone and my mother broke out of her reverie to say, "What did she say? What are you talking about?"  I was laughing so hard I couldn't tell her.  And Kitty calmly resumed eating.

Oh, if only you could have been there.  To this day, if anyone mentions the word gizzard someone will pipe up "Scrotum!" and we still laugh like hyenas.

That's one of the stories I like the best.  I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and were able to share some fun stories as well.  And now when Kitty comes out with one of her outrageous remarks, Brie is home to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment