Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lost and Found

Sometimes people that I haven't seen in many years will cross my mind.  I wonder where they are, what they are doing and how they are.  And then I wonder if they are dead. 

Sure it sounds morbid but how can people just drop off the face of the earth, and have no one know where they are?  Yes I did that before, but my situation was different.  We'll talk about that in a later blog...

Anyhoo, there are three people that immediately spring to mind.  The first one is Scott.  My first memory of him was when we were in elementary school; and he beat up this boy who had made fun of me on the bus.  He achieved hero status in my eyes that day and we were friends all through school.  But after graduation I never saw him or heard anything about him.  He never showed up at any reunions, so I thought the worst.  Then one day in Hannaford, I was walking by an aisle and someone called my name.  I backed up, this man that I didn't recognize said my name again and when I said I didn't know him he said, "it's me, Scott."  I was thrilled to see him and we spent a few precious minutes catching up.  I couldn't believe that he was able to recognize me; and he looked great.  However, afterwards I saw him one more time and he didn't look so good; and that time we didn't speak.  A few days later I ran into the class busybody and asked what his story was.  She told me that after high school he had been in and out of jail for drugs, and would probably go back at some point.  That certainly explained why he had looked so bad the 2nd time.  It broke my heart because I had such fond memories of him.  So in his honor, I wrote a novelette about him, where he was the hero.  I just wish it really was his story...I'll let you know when it's published.

The second person is Eric.  Back in high school he was too cool for school and all the girls loved him.  We were friends because my best friend Emmy-Lou dated him; and there was just always something endearing about him.  He was an upperclassman and after graduation I never saw him again.  Two weeks ago I was in my local Stewart's paying for gas when this guy walked by me.  I was talking to the cashier and ordering an ice cream cone when he called my name.  I looked at this short, elfin looking dude and said, "Hey, how are you?" and then he began talking as if we were long lost friends.  I had no idea who he was, ended the convo and went to collect my cone at the other counter.  As I listened to him talk to the cashier it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks: it was long lost Eric!  I didn't want him to know that I hadn't recognized him, so as I was leaving I called out, "It was great to see you after all these years Eric."  And it was!

The last one is a piece of my heart.  Matthew and my cousin worked together and when I relocated back here,I was fortunate enough to get a job at the same company.  When my cousin introduced me to him,I pulled her aside later to ask, "Why in the world haven't you hooked me up with this guy?  He's terrific!"  She replied, "because he's gay."

So that meant we would only be friends, and we became great friends indeed.  I loved him so much as a friend, he made work fun and he had an absolute killer sense of humor.  But what I didn't know was that Matt was also a raging alcoholic, and that took over his life.  Eventually he left the company and we did keep in touch for a bit; but the last time I saw him was in the early 90's.  Then he disappeared.

Over the years I would get sporadic reports; but the last one was so chilling: a mutual friend said that she heard he had died out in Arizona.  My heart broke more for him than it had for anyone else except my father.  But I was afraid to get definitive confirmation of this.

His old boyfriend found me on Facebook and we began corresponding.  Finally I worked up the courage to ask him what had happened to Matt.  Imagine my relief when Mike emailed me back and said that Matt was alive and in Arizona; and sent me his Facebook link.  Sure enough: it was him!

I immediately sent him a message.  When he emailed me back I cried.  He told me what he had gone through, but now he's on the other side,sober for 14 years and married to a wonderful husband.  You have no idea of how happy I was to hear that; and we are going to keep in touch. (my gay friend has a husband and I'm single: figures!)

So three people I had lost have been found.  I'm not sure if I'll see the first two again; but as long as I have Matt back: it's all good :o)  I'll pray for Scott and try to remember it's Eric when I run into him at Stewart's again!

This was a long one; but I promise that tomorrow I'll really tell more about who I am.  And it will be the start of my birthday weekend.  Whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment