Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kitty's New Year's Eve

Usually I stay home on New Year's Eve, or maybe go to a friend's house.  I haven't been to a club in years.  However, this year Brie convinced me to go with her to the Spotlight to ring in the new year at Vinnie's.  Since I like Vinnie, and what he's done with the place, and also his hugs, I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Plus it's only like 3 blocks away.  I did warn her that I'd probably leave at 11:59, because who wants to be at a club at midnight with no one to kiss?  Not me.

But that did leave a small dilemma: what was Kitty going to do?  She doesn't go out because she doesn't like loud noise (might be an autism thing) and she doesn't drink.  So I felt really bad and didn't want her to be by herself, even though usually she likes that.  But it was New Year's Eve...so I asked her if she wanted to go to Vinnie's with us.  At first she said yes; but then I think she got so worried about it that she gave herself a headache and went to take a nap.

I had asked my sister if she wanted to come to our house to be withher but she said no; and my mother also declined.  I honestly didin't know what to do; but at around 8 o'clock that evening Kitty announced that she would, indeed, go with us.  Like her sister I was glad, but also a little worried: Kittyis a bit...quirky, and we really weren't too sure how other patrons would view her.  But Kitty put on one of her favorite 'trendy' outfits, which consisted of her Bobby Jack hoodie, wide-leg jeans, sneakers with the neon laces and fingerless gloves, put her ear plugs in her pocket, put on her make-up and declared herself "ready".  So: off we went!

When I parked the car across the street from the venue Kitty was the first one out.  Brie was having an issue with her outfit so I told her to take my car home to change.  By this time Kitty had determinedly already crossed the street so I called for her to wait and hurried to catch up.  Bythat time she was already at the door; and the bouncer asked her for ID because she looks like she's about 15.  When he wanted to stamp her hand she told him she didn't want a stamp and headed inside.  I followed her (since no one asked ME for ID) and Kitty was going in there like she owned the place and she'd never even been in there before.

We walked past the bar (with me trailing in her wake) and when we reached the back wall, she sized up the place.  There was a pretty good band playing and before I knew it: Kitty had taken off her coat, handed it to me and headed for the dance floor.  I thought "oh shit" because apparently she was going to dance by herself amongst the people already out there dancing.  But she just stood to the side and watched, tapping her foot and moving a little.  Then she came back, got her coat and went to the bar where there wwere a couple of free barstools.  She had already put in her ear plugs so it took a little shouting for her to hear me ask her if she wanted a drink.  She decided on a Miller Lite and a Sierra Mist, got an extra cup and mixed the 2.  Let me say it for you: oy vey!

After a few minutes Vinnie came over to give me a hug (Happy New Year to me!) and to say hi to Kitty, whom he had met with Brie at the mall.  Kitty is very shy around men but she had a smile for Vin, although she didn't look him in the eye.  When he left, Kitty decided that she was going to head back to the dance floor.  I was nervous but knew I couldn't hover.  But I also knew that if anyone tried to mess with her, or make fun of her: Vinnie would have to throw me out of the club because there would be a fight.

So Kitty was in the middle of the floor and startes to dance in her own unique style.  After a minute I saw a girl call her over and say something.  They talked for a minute or 2 and then she went back to dancing.  When she came back I asked her who that was and she said, "I don't know."  O-kay...  Brie finally showed up with Nadine and they took the table directly across from where we were sitting.  Imagine their surprise when a few minutes later Kitty was back on the dance floor!  They both turned around to look at me and I just shrugged.  Then, when I looked back Kitty was moonwalking across the floor!  I had to laugh because she was having such a good time; and no one was bothering her or anything!  And it turned out that the girl she had spoken to was Brie's friend Heather, who came over to introduce herself.

The best part though?  She was back on the dance floor, and this guy approached her and held out his hand.  She took it: and they began dancing together!  He was Heather's boyfriend Rick and he waa so cute with her.  After the song ended Kitty speed-walked back to the bar blushing and I had to laugh.  Rick came over to introduce himself to me and talk to Kitty, but she got very flustered.  He understood and we chatted, then he asked her if they could dance again later and she said yes.

The most interesting part of the evening?  When I looked over and the bartender was leaning over the bar talking to her and stroking the back of her hand.  He must have seen the look on my face because he told me, "I was telling her that I like her gloves".  Okay homie: you saved yourself a beat-down!

We stayed until a little after 2 and Kitty had a great time.  Because I am so familiar with Kitty's behavior, I know that in her mind she was thinking, "This is what 'regular' people do on New Year's Eve, so I'm going to do it too" and that was the main motivation behind her behavior.  But she enjoyed the experience so much, she'd like to go again.  Well, she didn't enjoy the bit of a headache she had from also having a Bud Lite, but she's not a drinker so what she did drink gave her a buzz!  But it's all good!

So Brie and I didn't have to beat anyone up.  I am glad that anyone who may have seen Kitty didn't think she was out of place or anything like that.  However, what I didn't like was that I got no play at all, while Kitty had the bartender talking to her and rubbing her hand.  Seriously???

Happy New Year Kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment