Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rock Stars

I had a rather surreal experience last Saturday night; and no it didn't have anything to do with celebrating Brie's birthday (shout out to Perry!).  Nope: prior to the additional birthday celebrating, I had a gig at the Civic Center.

Earlier in the week, the hockey guy had emailed me to tell me that the Phantoms' mascot, Phlex, was retiring.  So he wanted my company's mascot to come to the "retirement" party.  Seriously.

Anyone who knows me knows that if it's a kooky situation: I want to be a part of it.  So I emailed my management and asked for special dispensation for our erudite company mascot to be allowed to attend his first party.  Our company mascot is held in very high regard, so I had to assure them that it would be an event that would do the company proud.  Um...okay.

So I found a volunteer to wear the bear costume: a nice very enthusiastic employee that surprised me with her eagerness to don the bear suit.  Personally: one of the very last things I would want to wear would be a bear costume, but that's just me and you know how careful I am with my hair!  Plus: it's hot in that costume and we do wash it and febreeze it and stuff but still: yikes!  So I was going to be the mascot handler, and I was fine with that.

Now for Phlex's retirement party it was going to be a big affair and there was a whole itinerary of evnts that would be taking place.  The hockey game started at 7 but we had to be there at 5 for pre-game instructions, a dance lesson and pep talk. 

I was surprised to see so many local mascots there: hadn't even known we had that many!  14 in all showed up: including Tux from the Penguins.  Between you and me: I think he must be a paid mascot because he was doing things like handstands and what not.  In the costume no less!  Needless to say: the bear did not do any gymnastics. 

But here's where the rock star moment began: first up was a meet n greet with about 100 girl scouts, and when the mascots walked in you should have heard the screaming and seen the jumping up and down.  I couldn't believe it!  Sure those girls were jacked up on sugar and girl scout cookies, but you would have thought that Justin Bieber was in one of those costumes!  They came running up, hugging the mascots, asking for autographs, getting their pictures taken with them.  Now, it was no mean feat for the bear to sign autographs with his "paws" but he did it :o)  It was crazy!  Then there was a private party for them to stop in on and it was the same thing.  The kids went crazy!

Afterwards the mascots, which included the Dominoes Noid, ACC's Eddie Rondack, 105.7's Country Cat (don't call her a cougar!), the Subway sandwich, Jack Link's Sasquatch, Trusty from TrustCo bank (where's my t-shirt?), 101.3's bear, Tux, Phlex and my bear, went to the lobby to greet people as they came in.  Can we say madness?  Chaos?  The mascots getting rushed?  It was like going the gauntlet at a rock concert!  I was really amazed at the reception; and at how much the mascots enjoyed greeting their adoring public.  And don't just think it was the kids: I saw some parents getting into it too with the high fives and fist bumps and all.  I saw it all from my positoion as the pretty much invisible handler.  Hmm, must be how roadies feel...

But the piece de resistance wasn't when the mascots took the ice for their introduction before the start of the game; nor when they all did the Cupid Shuffle during the first time out.  Oh no: it was during intermission when they broke into 2 teams of 7 and played Broom Ball.  Not only did my mascot score a goal (go State Farm!) but some of the mascots got into a brawl that I caught on my cell phone (it still makes me laugh!).  But don't worry: my mascot was not a part of the fisticuffs :o)  Good times!

So that was my very surreal rock star moment: watching people dressed like animals and food enjoy their 15 minutes of fame while I and the other handlers stood there to make sure no one tried to get too familiar or out of hand with our charges.  I guess that made us more like body guards than roadies, huh?  Even though I had to bring and take home the costume!

Next time, I want to be the rock star.  as long as I don't have to wear the bear suit!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment