Friday, January 14, 2011

Brie is the New 30

Today is my firstborn's birthday.  I can't believe she's 30.  Now it's going to be very hard to convince people that I'm 40; unless I lie and say she's adopted :o)  But anyone who sees us together knows she sprang straight from my loins.

I remember the day she was born.  There is truth to the adage "Ignorance is bliss" because I had no idea I was even in labor!  I thought I was having leg cramps and that's why I couldn't sleep.  It wasn't until my water broke that my "was-band" realized the baby was on it's way.  So we took a cab to the hospital.  Correction: I took a cab to the hospital; while he got dropped off at work!

So there I was at the hospital with no family or anyone around, in labor, sleepy and the nurse had me taking off my nail polish.  I got that off and then laid down on the bed.  They had to ask me to roll over onto my side so they could finish putting on the fetal monitor.  Man, was I tired!  They did the usual checking and when they were done I fell asleep!  They woke me up and then told me they were taking me to delivery.  I said fine and went back to sleep.  I kid you not: it was nothing like they show on TV!  I had no drugs or anything, slept through the labor and they had to wake me up to push out the baby!  Now that's the way to go through childbirth :o)

She was a gorgeous baby too.  Straight black hair, tiny freckles, big blue eyes, white skin.  Wait a minute: the was-band was black and American Indian: I'm black, Eastern Cherokee and Italian.  Why in the world was our baby white???

As you can imagine, I had a lot of explaining to do and trying to convince him that no I had never cheated on him.  The thing that finally convinced him is that he had 2 other daughters, and in their baby pictures they had these tiny little rosebud mouths.  Brie had the exact same mouth, in spite of her coloring.

As it turned out: her freckles gradually turned into her skin tone.  She kept the pretty black hair, but her eyes did eventually turn brown.  Although if you look real close: her irises still have a ring of blue around them.

To start out her birthday we went with friends to Siam Thai Sushi and had a wonderful family style meal where we all shared and tasted and had a great time.  Tomorrow we have a hockey game and then will have a drink at JP Bruno's before hopefully finishing the night at the Spotlight.  Finally, on Sunday, her very pregnant friend Jen is coming over for food (gotta feed that big growing baby!) and cake.  Can't wait!  A friend of mine at work made her a monkey-shaped cake that she loved.  We were supposed to cut it tonight but we were too full, so tomorrow and hopefully there will be a piece left for Jen!

And her big present: a round-trip plane ticket to Orlando to visit her best friend Christy!  They haven't been together in 10 years; so I hope Florida is ready for when the 2 of them get together next week!  I'm an awesome mom for making that happen :o)

So happy birthday to my beautiful daughter.  I still can't believe she's 30!  She looks like she's 18 and acts like she's 12.  But as one of her best friend's said: Brie is now the new 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment