Tuesday, June 30, 2020

It's Coming From Inside the House!

Because Marie lives with me, I sleep downstairs so I can keep an eye / ear on her. Brie sleeps downstairs too. It's rather uncomfortable but we've gotten used to it.

What I can't get used to is the TV on all night. Marie likes to have some "noise" and light, especially now that she has some dementia. I am a person that is used to sleeping in total darkness, so I sleep really lightly when it isn't pitch black. But I wouldn't want Marie to get any more disoriented than she sometimes gets at night, so I behave like a good daughter.

Sometimes I leave my phone on a religious station, or play from one of my music playlists and Marie likes that. Something peaceful that hopefully helps her sleep.

One night last week, I awoke at my usual time of around 2 a.m. There's usually a sermon on the radio that I like to catch if I happen to be awake, and I remember leaving my phone on the station. As I opened my eyes I realized that the TV station had defaulted to the SPECTRUM logo because no one had caught it in time to keep it on. Anyhoo, as I laid there, I heard this really pretty piano music. I knew it wasn't coming from the TV because the channel was off. Must be my radio station. I picked up my phone: it was off. Hmm...

I saw that Marie was awake. "Marie, do  you hear that music?" "What music?" "The piano music." "No I don't hear any music."

Uh oh. Usually it's Marie that hears and sees things. I sat up slowly. I had forgotten! I was listening to the station on my tablet! I picked up my tablet: it was off. Oh snap...was I having a stroke??? I didn't smell any burnt toast, so hopefully I wasn't. I slowly looked around the dark room. What the heck? But after a minute or two the music stopped. Whew! Chuckling to myself, I laid back down on the couch.

A couple of minutes later the music started again. It was really beautiful piano music. I looked around again and then my eyes widened as I looked into the dark dining room. It sounded like the music was coming from there! And who was a classically trained pianist? My sister Robin! Putting two and two together it hit me: Robin was in the dining room playing the piano and waiting for me to come join her!

Oh H to the NO: I wasn't ready to go where Robin was no matter how nice it is. So I started a conversation with God: "God, you know I love you and I will be spending eternity with you. But I kind of have a lot to do here before I can join Robin. I have to take care of Marie, and the pets, and Kitty and Brie. Yes I know they are adults but you can't tell by the way they act. They still need me. So if you could please tell Robin to stop playing and go back to Heaven with you, that would be great. Besides, shouldn't she be playing for Marie? Love you and thanks for me not having a stroke!"

My mumbling woke Brie up. "Who are you talking to?" she asked sleepily.

I lowered my voice. "God because Robin is playing the piano in the dining room, trying to lure me in!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Okay, don't you hear the piano music playing or is it just me??? Marie can't hear it. Robin wants me to join her!!"

She sat up. "Of course I hear piano music. It's the "calming" app I have on my phone. It's piano and thunderstorms!"

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???"

Um...did any of you hear Brie howling with laughter? "You thought it was Robin?" I thought she was going to roll off the couch with mirth.

"Why didn't you tell me about that app? I thought it was coming from the dining room! It scared me!" I snapped.

"I'm sorry mom," she managed to gasp out when she finally stopped laughing. "I thought it would be soothing."

"I'm sure it is when you let people know it's on! You did that on purpose to scare me!"

"Go back to sleep mom. I'll turn it off."

"And leave it off too!"

Why is she such a hater??? I hope she remembers what payback is, especially since I spent the rest of the night sleeping with one eye open!

No comments:

Post a Comment