Thursday, June 4, 2020

Breaking My Silence

Today is June 4, 2020. I just finished watching George Floyd's memorial service. I haven't said a word about this horrific occurrence because it is just so painful, as a human being, to know this happened. As a human, I cannot watch that video nor can I listen to it. Oh how the world has changed: to where they show actual murders on TV. My soul can't bear it.

What has happened to your soul; what has happened to your life for you to think you have the power to treat someone like that? What kind of trip were you on? You knew what you were doing. You heard that man, and others saying he couldn't breathe. But that wasn't good enough for you. You wanted to kill that man. Regardless of what George may or may not have been guilty of, you are guilty of murder. As for your three cohorts I thank God they were arrested for standing by and doing nothing. Because we know if a black person had tried to intervene: you would have killed him too.

This has happened too often in the past few years but this hit the hardest. Probably because George was crying out for his mother, who was deceased. In times of trouble many people call out for their mothers, but in this case I hope it was because he saw his mother standing with Jesus to welcome him home. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Now, on the subject of the protests: I am on the side of those who are peaceful and trying to make a point. I in no way, shape or form condone the rioters and looters who are sullying the meaning of the protests. There will always be those who want to "wild out" in the name of justice but that's B.S. You just want to express your rage in a way sure to attract the police. You're throwing firecrackers, which sound like gunshots, so a bullet can be fired and you can say, "They shot at me and I'm unarmed!" You really want to play Russian Roulette like that with life?

I have been very lucky in my life. Growing up in a relatively small town, there were so few black families that we didn't have any issues and didn't face a blatant racist problem. The only time it kind of lurked in the shadows was when I discovered that boys couldn't date me because I was black. They knew me, my family was upstanding in the community and we all got along famously but they didn't want to take the chance on their sons making any mixed race babies. And I had to live with that. But in the grand scheme of things I was still lucky.

Yet I can still identify with those who struggle just to live each day without having to look over their shoulder. With those who are afraid that they'll get stopped for living life while black even when they aren't doing anything wrong. With those who are at the wrong end of a white police officer's bad mood or power surge. Even as a writer it's hard to find the correct words..

I don't know if it's power or fear that makes people afraid of us. I know there's nothing more frightening in this society than an educated black person. However, isn't it time to get over it and let everyone live their lives?  And stop thinking that a black person who has nice things stole them. You aren't the only ones that can be successful: no matter how much you tried to keep us down for so many years. Think about that.

'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment