Friday, June 26, 2020

Fun Bye Bye

Just for the record: the title is misleading.

For some reason, Brie thought it would be "fun" to take both dogs with us as we ran a few quick errands. Oh, how wrong she was! Vivian loves to go bye bye and will beat you to the door every time. She'll jump up until you pick her little 3.5 pound self up and take her outside. Even if we just sit on the porch: that's bye bye for her. As for Lilly: she has never in all of her eight years EVER wanted to even go out the door: much less actually go somewhere. You can open the front door and she won't budge past where the floor ends. And if you pick her up to take her out: her little tongue flicks in and out like a snake because it gives her such anxiety. Fun!

Anyhoo, Brie says, "Let's take the dogs to get some air." Me: "Both of them????" Brie: "Yes, Lilly needs to learn to love bye bye as much as Vivi does." Famous last words...

So with Brie's optimism leading the way, I said, "Who wants to go bye bye with Grammy and Auntie?" I didn't even get the entire sentence out before Vivi was at the door jumping, waiting for me to pick her up: her tail going in circles like a propeller. Lilly, who doesn't quite understand a lot of things, saw Vivi's enthusiasm so she thought bye bye was something she would enjoy, like treaties. WRONG! Once Brie picked her up and headed outside, that little tongue started darting in and out and she started shaking (it was 84 degrees out, by the way) and was a wreck by the time we got her to the car. Vivian was sitting up enjoying the fresh air while Lilly was a huddled heap in Brie's lap. And we hadn't even left the driveway yet...

We first head to Dunkies so Brie could get a pineapple coolatta. The problem here was that Vivian always thinks she has to protect Grammy, so she started barking as soon as she saw the drive thru person. The other problem was:it wasn't Burger king so the attendant didn't offer her any french fries. So bark bark bark until we finally drove away, and then she was very offended.

Next stop: Lox of Bagels for Brie's toasted bagel with olive cream cheese and lox. Yikes! When she had to go in, now I had both dogs in my lap. Vivian barked at anyone who parked next to us so they would know to not bother her Grammy. Traumatized Lilly crawled up my front until she was resting on my chest with her head on my shoulder, trying to hide in my hair which she has done since she was a puppy. She was still frightened of bye bye and was also dead weight. A scared 10-pound Chihuahua is surprisingly heavy! But I held them both until a smiling Brie came back to the car with 2 bags. French fries? Nope! She had a bagel finger for the dogs. I broke off a little piece for Vivi and she took it and then spit it out. I gave it to her again: same reaction. Brie gave a piece to Lilly and she was grateful, as she should have been. I gave Vivi to Brie and she gave her a piece of the bagel finger. Vivi spit it out onto her cleavage. At that point I told her to just put it back into the bag, take me to Walmart so I could buy a fan and go home.

 We got to Walmart and parked. Now Vivi decided she would eat the piece of bagel finger. I told Lilly I would be right back and told her to go to Auntie. She was maybe 10 inches away and I had never seen a dog crawl so slowly to anyone, shaking the entire time! Seriously! But she finally made it and I escaped into the store.

When I came back out Brie said that Vivi had barked almost the entire time, each time she saw someone. Lilly was cowering in her hair. So once again I was given both dogs, scolded for taking so long and then instead of going home: went back to Dunkies to get Marie a coolatta. Vivian barked at the attendant who still didn't have any french fries for her. But finally we made it home!

So it wasn't fun bye bye for anyone involved. And seriously: the next time both dogs go anywhere with me I'm going to make sure I have a car seat for them!


No comments:

Post a Comment