Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday

Even though it’s Thursday, today is my Friday.  I have tomorrow off from work.  The reason for this is…wait for it…July 1st is the beginning of Kitty-pa-looza!  That’s right: Kitty’s birthday is Sunday, so of course we will be celebrating it all weekend long!
I was told that Kitty-pa-looza is my fault.  You know us single mothers: have to go above and beyond for the kids!  When I worked at the oldies radio station, every summer they would put on "Summer Jam" on West Mountain on July 3rd.  There would be music groups from the 60s and 70s; and as an employee of course I had back stage access, etc. with my girls.  There would be upwards of 30,000 people there; and each time we went I would tie balloons to Kitty's wrists since July 3rd is her birthday; and after the groups performed there would be fireworks!  So naturally as a little girl Kitty always thought that "Summer Jam" was her birthday party.  Trust me: I was very sad when they stopped doing Summer Jam and I left the radio station because then I had to throw the birthday parties!  But those are great memories, because what other child could boast 30,000 people at her birthday party???
So what exactly will Kitty-pa-looza encompass this year?  A whole host of things that make me tired just to think of them.  But here is what’s on the agenda for 2011 (schedule subject to change):
·         Friday:
o   Hair appointments for all!
o   A trip to Build-A-Bear Workshop where Kitty and Brie will build their own stuffed animals.  No bears for them: a monkey for Brie and a special edition lamb for Kitty, which she has already named Lady Baa Baa.
o   A trip to BSW for trendy eye shadows for Kitty.
o   Visiting our favorite Popeye’s restaurant for Wicked Chicken and biscuits
o   Going to see “Mr. Popper’s Penguins”.  Remember: Brie is 30 and Kitty will be 26.
·         Saturday:
o   Shopping for Kitty
o   Getting her fishing license (she loves to fish; I love to read while she’s fishing).
o   Kitty’s birthday dinner with family friends at Siam Thai Sushi (I will NOT be eating sushi, but I love their crab Rangoon’s, steamed dumplings and shrimp on a stick).
o   Home for cake #1
·         Sunday:
o   Pick up Kitty’s real cake at Price Chopper.  Hawaiian theme and coconut (to ensure that I won’t be able to eat any 😒)
o   Lisa J’s annual party at Glen Lake, always including the best pork EVER, all the food you can possibly eat and real professional fireworks to rival those of the Great Escape.  We are using this as Kitty’s party (thanks Lisa & Tim!) and all we’ll need to bring is Kitty’s cake and the best pasta salad around.
·         Monday (the 4th):
o   Sleep?  No?  Then the family barbecue at my house.  There won’t be any cake left from Lisa’s, so I’ll do a cheesecake/chocolate mousse pie.  (Apparently I will have to rest when I return to work on Tuesday.)
If I have any money left after Kitty-pa-looza, it will be the first time.  But you know what: I don’t even care! It’s Kitty’s birthday weekend!  When Kitty’s happy: everybody’s happy!  And isn’t that what it’s all about?  Whoo hoo!!
Hope you have a safe and happy 4th of July 🎆

No comments:

Post a Comment