Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Making Your Own Fun

Since I've been a single mother forever, there were many times when I couldn't exactly afford big-time fun like a trip to Disneyland or a cruise.  So we had to make our own fun.  And even now that our financial situation isn't like it was when I first left my husband, we still like to do goofy things that amuse us to no end.

One of the first things Kitty did was fun in retrospect, but not at the time.  She was still a toddler, and I had her and Brie in the back seat as I was driving.  I turned into our local shopping center, and unbeknownst to me Kitty had disengaged herself from her car seat.  The next thing I knew, a little pair of hands were over my eyes and her little voice said, "Guess who?"  As the car veered around the parking lot I said, "Kitty! Mommy is trying to drive!" so she sat back down, chortling as her sister giggled.  Oh yeah: great fun kids!

Kitty liked to have all kinds of fun with her sister: although Brie didn't consider it fun.  Like the time she was in her room reading an R.L. Stine book, which was rather spooky.  So she never heard her sister crawl in the room, crouch by her bed, turn her eyelids inside out and then pop up yelling "Boo!"  At this point Brie jumped up screaming, then started to cry as her sister laughed and laughed.  Good times!

Even Luna would get in on the act.  When she was a kitten, she would climb up the back of the couch, and if you were laying on the couch she would jump onto your stomach, knocking the wind out of you.  Fun for her, but after the 5th time or so: not so much for you!  She'd also sit in front of the couch while you laid on it, then crouch down and launch herself directly at your face.  After you'd scream and jump, she'd actually only be clinging to the side of the couch: not really trying to gouge out your eyes or anything.  Furry fun!

We also did what you'd consider "normal" fun activities, like go out to eat, go to the Great Escape and travel a bit, but it seems like the more creative we get: the more fun it is.  Well, maybe creative is too stong a word, but you be the judge:

For instance, as I mentioned in a previous blog, I was watching Michael Flatley on the View.  Later that evening Brie and Pumpkin came to visit me in my room, and I told Brie that he was back on tour.  She mentioned that she couldn't understand how anyone could do that Riverdancing, and I said, "It's not that tough: watch."  Then I got up and proceeded to do my version of Riverdancing.  It probably would have looked halfway dignified, except for the fact that Pumpkin likes to dance too.  So unbeknownst to me, I was dancing and Pumpkin was on her hind legs dancing too, and Brie just laughed and laughed.  Dancing fun!

And speaking of dancing: Brie just loves when I try to dance like the chicks you see in the club or in videos.  But due to the fact that I have buns of steel, I am unable to make my booty clap because it's too toned, I can't stripper shake for the same reason, and if I try to drop it like it's hot there is absolutely no sexy way for me to get back up again!

When she was a temp where I worked, I invented a game called "Dear Diary".  In this game, I would send her an email under the guise of some guy she liked, and make it seem like an entry into a diary.  Oh yes: hijinks would ensue each time we'd do this!  We thought we were hilarious and as we'd type them up we'd be chuckling to ourselves, and try to outdo each other.  Work fun!

But what Brie finds to be the most fun is when we play "hula charades", and act out scenes from her love life.  I have discovered that I can hula pretty well, but it was hard to act out the scene where her current "interest" was at a hockey game, walked halfway around the arena to make sure I saw him, walked up the steps to get a beer and some popcorn, then walked back to his seat to eat the popcorn and drink the beer.  Challenging, but I believe I pulled it off.

Just goes to show that you don't need have to spend a lot to have fun: it just takes some imagination and a sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment