Sunday, March 13, 2011

Maybe I'm Over-thinking...

Okay, I know that I have weird issues,especially when it comes to movies.  Today I spent a lazy day in my recliner with the heating pad on my back and the remote in my hand.  During my channel surfing, which I don't like to do, I happened upon "Snow White".

Yes, I know this is one of the most beloved Disney movies ever, but I have a couple of issues with it.  The first one was good grief: she's a girl living with 7 men.  Dwarves or not: that's going to get people talking about you.  And it's not like that forest cottage had 8 bedrooms, either.  So even if they gave her a room of her own, you know that at some point they were sneaking a peek.

And that cottage had no glass in the windows: just a cut-out square where weather, animals or anything could have gotten in.  Not even a curtain was in the windows! 

But that wasn't the most unnerving thing about the movie.  Before the old crone shows up with the apple, Snow White is making a birthday pie for Grumpy.  An admirable endeavor, to be sure.  However, not only were all the animals in the forest there in the window, but one of the birds flew in, used its tail to scoop up some flour, and then sprinkled it on the top crust!  As if that wasn't enough: its mate then joined it and they used their dirty bird feet to crimp the crust; AND to scratch slits in the top crust.  Are you kidding me????  That's the birthday pie??  I think the dwarves dodged a bullet by coming home to find her passed out; so they didn't have to eat that!

Brie says that if I have to point out things like that in a children's movie, I shouldn't be watching it.  I think that if they drew a character as scary-looking as the crone, children shouldn't be watching it!  Even at my...um...youngish age, I could barely look at her.  And no one else thought it was too much for kids to see her go over the cliff, and then have the vultures circling around?  We all know what that symbolization meant!

But on the up side: the next movie to come on was "Aladdin".  I can say with certainty that I have no issues with that movie.  Well, maybe just a tiny one.  In all of the ads for the movie before it came out, when Jasmine and Aladdin were on the magic carpet, in the background the song "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf was playing and I thought that was awesome.  However, the song did NOT make it into the movie, and when I took my kids to see it that's what I was waiting for!  Sigh...but I guess in the grand scheme of Disney movies, this doesn't count as a miss.

So that's what I've been thinking about today.  While I was in the recliner with the heating pad.  Hopefully next Sunday I'll find myself doing something more exciting than over-thinking the Disney movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment