Thursday, March 31, 2022

What Made Her Stop Drinking

 Just so we're clear: Brie gave me permission to write this post. It happened several years ago after she returned from living in Washington State.

Once upon a time, Brie was quite the partier. She had a group of friends who loved to go out drinking and dancing pretty much every weekend, and sometimes on Thursday nights too. I was rather worried about this behavior: but she was an adult and I couldn't dictate her actions. She said as long as she was working and taking care of her other responsibilities, it was all good. I didn't really believe this, but again: she was an adult.

Apple picking season rolled around and Kitty wanted to go. The Saturday she picked was unseasonably warm, but I said we could go even though it was late in the season. I didn't feel like driving all the way to Granville to go to Hicks. I told her, "There's a place that's closer that we can go to." I named a place off of exit 13S. "Is it a nice place? Do they have cider donuts?" Kitty asked. "I've never been there but I've passed it and I'm sure they do," I said optimistically. "Okay."

Since apple picking was a family affair, I proceeded to march up the stairs to wake up Brie, who had probably rolled in around daybreak. "Get up! We're going apple picking!" I bellowed into her room. This was greeted with a loud hungover groan. "Why do I have to go?" "Because it's a family affair. Get up and let's go!"

She finally appeared downstairs, looking a lot the worse for wear. "Okay I'm here. Stop yelling and let's get this over with." Kitty was all excited, not noticing her sister's disheveled and sorry looking state. We got in the car and were on our way!

A word to the wise: before you go to a new orchard, you really need to check it out ahead of time. We turned in and were greeted with signs that pointed to where different apple trees were, where to pay, what was do-it-yourself (which turned out to be everything!) and where the store was. Now, this would have been okay except that the place was deserted: like a ghost town. Where were the customers? Undaunted,  I read the sign that told us how to tell which tree had which kind of apples, and proceeded to drive into the "orchard". 

We felt better once we saw another car. So that made two families there that day. Hmm...Regardless, we parked in the middle of the orchard, got out our bags, and tried to wake up Brie who had passed out in the backseat. Sighing with annoyance, I gave up, locked her in the car with the window partially rolled down and Kitty and I commenced to apple picking.

Or what would have been apple picking, if there had been any apples! We caught up with the other family, who was also wandering around with empty bags and bewildered looks on their faces. We looked at the markings of the trees for the apples we wanted, but you couldn't see the markings and seriously: what apples? As we pondered this, I had no idea of what was happening with Brie...

Apparently Brie finally realized that the car had stopped moving, and she was hot and sweaty since the sun was beating down on the car in the open field. "Where are we?" she asked, but no one answered. She groggily sat up, and there was no one in the car. She looked out her window and saw nothing familiar. Where was her family? Had the trumpet blew and she missed the Rapture? She got out of the car to see if she could ascertain where she was. As she pondered the disappearance of everyone but her, she heard something. Looking around, this is what she saw and I cannot make this stuff up:

There was a black man, shirtless, wearing overalls. He had a cloth bag slung over his shoulder and he appeared to be picking sweet potatoes out of the ground. He had what could have been an ox with huge horns pulling a cart behind him. And of course: he was singing an old spiritual. The ox gave her a curious look. As you can imagine: this sight did not bring any comfort to Brie. She jumped back into the car and locked the doors because she had no idea where she was or her family. She didn't know what else to do! 

After talking to the other family, we all decided to cut our losses and leave, since there were no apples to be found. It was hot and I was not in the mood for nonsense. When we got within sight of the car, we could see Brie's little face in the window and her hands were on the glass as she stared. When she saw us I could see her mouth moving but of course couldn't hear her. Then when I got closer: oh I heard her! "Where were you? Where are we? Why did you leave me in the car alone?? Do you see a man picking sweet potatoes or am I hallucinating? I thought it was the second coming and I'd been left!"  This was slightly alarming, but when I turned and saw the man, I had to laugh as it wasn't a sight usually seen in these parts. "Get in the car Laffy McLafferton!"

We did. "Where are the apples?" Kitty replied, "There weren't any. Can we go up to the store and get some donuts?" I drove up to the store, where again there was no one there, and some donuts were in bags on the counter. "Hey, no fresh ones?" Kitty was indignant. "This isn't anything like Hicks! No apples and no fresh donuts. We are never coming here again!" We bought one small bag just to sample (honor system with a wooden box), and you can imagine how they were. We dropped the bag into the trash on our way out. "Tragic waste," Kitty muttered.

Brie was quiet on the way home, deep in thought. When we were inside and Kitty had gone off to tell her dolls about the wasted trip, Brie finally said, "That was crazy." "Yes it was," I agreed. "And if this is the second time you thought it was the second coming and you missed it, you might want to re-evaluate your life." "Yeah...when I woke up and there was no one but maybe an imaginary black man looking like the guy from Green Mile and singing...it just might be time to cut back on the drinking." "You think???"

And she did! She would still go out occasionally, but I think that experience really gave her something to think about. When you think you're hallucinating and it turns out to be real: that will certainly give you pause. Now she might have a glass of wine if she goes out to dinner or something, but getting drunk isn't on her to-do list at all. For that I am thankful!




No comments:

Post a Comment