Wednesday, March 2, 2022

We Have to Break Up

 As some of you know, many years ago Breyers had an amazing product called Viennetta. It was a scrumptious ice cream log that had crispy chocolate wafers in between the ice cream layers. So delicious! Especially when I would also pour Hershey's dark chocolate syrup over it. Besides vanilla, they also had Cappuccino and Chocolate; and if memory serves Mint too. Oh, be still my heart!

Then of course word got out that I loved this product and they promptly snatched it off the market. I was heartbroken but eventually I got over it (do you believe me?).

Then last year word got to me that Good Humor was taking over and my beloved Viennetta was back on the market! Of course, it was overseas but when I wrote to the company they assured me that eventually it would cross the ocean and get to the states. I waited with baited breath for this magical day to arrive.

I was in my local supermarket at the end of January killing time while I waited for Kitty to complete her shopping. I was a little annoyed because I was tired and wanted to go home. So I was wandering aimlessly, and then decided to check the ice cream aisle to see if they had any Tillamook. I got about a third of the way down the aisle when I happened to look up on the top shelf. I couldn't believe it. Were my eyes deceiving me? Was it a mirage I had somehow brought to life? Sure enough: there were boxes of Viennetta on that top shelf!

I'm sure many people in the store knew I had found Viennetta. I snatched open the freezer door and grabbed two boxes of it. It looked exactly as I remembered! I went through the store, got a bottle of Hershey's dark chocolate syrup and then hurried until I found Kitty. I held both boxes up to her face. "It's VIENNETTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Looking slightly alarmed she said, "I see." Then I hurried her up to the checkout so we could go home and I could indulge.

Now the first three or five boxes seemed just as I remembered when doused in the syrup. But then I noticed that when I put it back in the freezer and would take it out for another serving the next day, it was kind of crystallized. That was weird. But I figured my freezer was on high so of course that would happen. However, I noticed that if an area didn't have any syrup on it, the taste was a bit different. So maybe after the 8th box or so, I looked at the ingredients...

Aha! I knew it! They had changed it from ice cream to nonfat ice milk! My Viennetta was a fraud! Oh the humanity! Why Good Humor: why??

So it is with great sadness that I announce my breakup with Viennetta. Perhaps the switch to nonfat milk makes healthier but it just isn't the same. At least this time it's on my terms, which makes me feel a bit better. And at least I had my favorite dessert back for just a while. Usually I'm not that lucky! So maybe there's a chance for Pepperidge Farm Mississippi Mud Pie to come back. But only if they don't change the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment