Thursday, March 24, 2022

My College Bestie

 When I was attending SUNY Adirondack during the Roaring '20s, I always thought that I'd like to work here. I had no idea in what capacity, but I enjoyed college until one day I decided I didn't and left. But now I've been back for almost four years and enjoying my job, which has nothing to do with my major. But I digress...

On my first day of college, I met this girl who was also in the Radio Broadcasting program. We couldn't have been more different if we tried, and I'm not even talking about skin color. She was an only child, I had four siblings. She lived in the country, I lived in a bigger town. She was into soft rock, country and pop rock. I was into disco and rock. She was into comfy clothes and I dressed up every day. She was mostly a homebody (I remember going to her house to bake chocolate chip cookies) and I loved the night life. Yet somehow: we became best friends.

We have a long history. We hung out a lot during school in the Student Center where we held court with those lucky enough to be allowed into our small circle. We sat in the farthest corner on the right as you entered, by the windows. Best seats in the house to watch people! Now, whenever I go through the Student Center, I can still "feel" the ghosts of us in there during breaks from class.

When I made the mistake of moving to Long Island, she was the only one that consistently "found" me during my lost years and and kept in touch. And when I finally came back home for good: she was one of the first ones I saw.

Lynne has always been one of my biggest supporters. She was the first one to buy one of my books. Through all of my less than stellar relationships: she was right there, with her solid marriage firmly in her back pocket. She's a great mother, a great wife and a great friend. She gets my sense of humor. She trusts me as I trust her. And we love to go out to eat, to catch up and mostly laugh! It really is good for the soul.

She is also one of those good friends where you aren't friends just because you "know where the bodies are buried", but because your life is better with this person in it. Thankfully, we have laughed more than cried, our children are raised and doing okay, and we still enjoy each other's company. And when I'm funky and we don't get together, she keeps at me until I do agree to dinner or lunch and it is always a good time! Seriously: why does she put up with me and my creative mood swings???

Of course, nothing is perfect. I've gone through my times of not being in touch, and one time I wasn't talking to her but I don't think she realized it. It was when I didn't get invited to her daughter's wedding. But I got over it because it isn't always about me.

I could certainly go on and on, but suffice it to say I am so happy that Lynne has been such a constant in my life. We met for dinner yesterday evening at the Peppermill and it was like always: good food, good conversation and laughter! Not all conversations are funny or light: there was a little bit of sadness there too. However: we are always there for each other. That's the true beauty of this friendship.

Thanks for always being there Lynne. I'm glad we're on this ride together!

No comments:

Post a Comment