Monday, October 17, 2022

Behind the Music - Summer, the First Time

 The title kind of says it all. But let me back up...

Bobby Goldsboro was a popular pop and country singer/songwriter in the 60s and 70s. He was best known for wholesome songs like "Watching Scotty Grow", "Little Things", "Honey" (the biggest hit of his career) and "Little Green Apples".

Then once the 70s hit, Mr. Goldsboro went left in 1973. He wrote a controversial song entitled, "Summer (The First Time), which reached the Top 25. As a young girl barely out of toddler hood 😄 this song was absolutely scandalous. Let's look at the lyrics. As always, I own no rights to this song and make no profit from it:

'It was a hot afternoon, the last day of June, and the sun was a demon. The clouds were afraid, 110 in the shade, and the pavement was steaming.' So far, so good: it's a hot day and he really drove home this point and set the stage.

Then we get to 'I told Billy Ray, in his red Chevrolet, I needed time for some thinking. I was just walking by, when I looked in her eye, and I swore it was winking.' Yep: now we're starting to get an inkling...

'She was 31 and I was 17-' Hold the phone Mrs. Robinson: what nefarious thoughts were budding in your head about this innocent boy? 'I knew nothing 'bout love, she knew everything, but I sat down beside her on a front porch swing, and wondered what the coming night would bring?" I bet you did little boy! Even though you shouldn't have been wondering anything where this woman was concerned, except how many other teen boys had sat on that porch with her! Let's continue:

'The sun closed her eyes, as it climbed in the skies, and it started to swelter. The sweat trickled down, the front of her gown, and I thought it would melt her.' Now see if it was me, I wouldn't have been sitting outside sweating. But apparently she wanted him to watch the sweat dripping off of her. Yuck.

'She threw back her hair, like I wasn't there, and she sipped on a julep. Her shoulders were bare, and I tried not to stare, when I looked at her two lips.' Um...are you sure it was her two lips you were trying not to stare at? 'And when she looked at me I heard her softly say, "I know you're young, you don't know what to do or say, but stay with me until the sun has gone away, and I will chase the boy in you away."' Say what Mrs. Robinson??? Was 17 the age of consent in your state in 1973?

'And then she smiled, then we talked for a while, then we walked for a mile to the sea. We sat on the sand and a boy took her hand, but I saw the sun rise as a man.' 😲

At this part of the song you hear the crescendo of violins and hear waves in the background...you get the idea. Just in case you didn't realize they had sex. I'm sorry: she had sex. He "made love". And I guess his parents didn't realize he wasn't home at lights out. Or maybe they thought he was spending the night at Billy Ray's. Seriously.

The last part of the song: 'Ten years have gone by since I looked in her eye, but the memory lingers. I go back in my mind, to the very first time, and feel the touch of her fingers.' I have absolutely no doubt that he remembers that time: probably every single day. And I'm sure if he was with anyone else after that (no guarantees!) he compared them all to Mrs. Robinson. But I bet her next deflowering was with Billy Ray! Where's that song???



No comments:

Post a Comment