Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Hangin' With Keith

I honestly don't think I've ever mentioned Keith in any of my blogs. He's my older brother (when I claim him) who doesn't drive anymore, by choice. We've never had much of a relationship until Robin died. Then he probably figured good thing he had a spare sister, and that's me.

Our relationship doesn't actually involve "hangin' out", per se. It involves him sitting at home thinking about what errands he can have me run for him, and then calling me to do them. Or, since he isn't tech savvy, he asks me to pay his bills for him online so they post faster (yes he gives me the money for them). But actually spending time with him: wasn't on my to-do list.

I guess it was on his! He called me last Friday and said, "I'd like to go grocery shopping tomorrow at Price Rite. What time did you want to take me?" "Um...what time did you want to go?" "Oh you know me: the earlier the better!" So no sleeping in for Rita! "How about 9:00?" "See you then!"

Of course I was annoyed because a) Saturday is my only day to sleep in; and b) I don't like Price Rite. But being the dutiful servant that I am, it looked like I'd be hangin' with Keith the next day. And maybe it wouldn't be so bad: I'd bring a book and stay in the car. Or I would go in just to buy some of the crackers that Marie really likes. They were only $1.49 there, as opposed to $2.99 at my favorite independent grocer. So I'd go in, get those crackers, and go back to the car.

Just in case Keith didn't have any reusable bags (plastic is banned) I brought a couple along. I had one for my crackers. He was ready promptly at 9, but of course had to go to the bank first. Then we were on our way! When we got there I told him I only needed a couple of things and was then coming back to the car. He got his cart and made his way in while I sent a text, and then, just in case, I grabbed one of the bags, got my own cart (you have no idea how many crackers Marie can eat!) and headed in myself. I just hoped the crackers were in the same place, at the same price!

When you enter the store, the produce section is the first area. It had taken me a few minutes to finally go in, and I could see Keith hadn't even made it through the produce section yet. This gave me a feeling of foreboding...but I kept it moving, passed him and found the crackers. Yes! Still $1.49! I grabbed four packs, and then decided to take a look at the meat. I found a beautiful pack of chuck steaks, perfect for Shanghai Beef and threw that in my cart too. Keith finally passed me and headed to the dairy section. I decided, since I rarely visit that store, to take a cursory walk around to see if there was anything else Marie might like at a really good price.

And that was my mistake: there was plenty of good stuff at great prices! As I went through the store I noticed my cart was getting pretty loaded. Periodically Keith and I would cross paths and he'd show me something he'd found that Marie or I would like. Then I'd head to that area to stock up!

Finally we got to the last aisle, the frozen food section. Keith got two pies for $5 each (coconut cream and Boston cream) and some TV dinners that Marie hadn't tried before, but some stranger had recommended. Why not trust a stranger's advice? (and in this case he was right: Marie loved them).

Since the frozen section was by the registers, I told Keith I was checking out and going to the car. He said he was right behind me. I went to a self checkout register, and let me tell you: it was a good thing I had grabbed the large bag because I had to pack all of that stuff into one and it was heavy and full. But no regrets! I paid and left.

I hauled my one big bag into the back seat and waited for Keith. And waited. And waited. He was right behind me! I started to get irritated. Had he tried to self checkout? Nah, that would be too technical for him and he had produce. Had he gotten mad at the cashier and cursed him out? That was a possibility. But what if he had a sugar low or a heart attack and fell out? Was an ambulance on its way? It had been over half an hour and with this thought I figured I'd better go in and check. Thankfully as I had this thought I saw him coming out, and none of his groceries were bagged and I know he had a couple of bags.

When he got to the car he said, "I ran into a couple of people I know and we had to catch up. And one worked in produce and told me to buy this fruit." He showed me the fresh fruit as I thought about how I thought he was dead. Then, since his two little bags weren't sufficient, I gave him the other two I had and helped him pack up the groceries. Now time to take him home! "So where do you want to go out to eat?"

I gave him an alarmed look. "Um...nowhere. Restaurants are closed." "Why?" "Because of the COVID-19. Only essential businesses are open; or restaurant delivery or takeout." "No kidding!" "Keith, how do you not know that?" "I never watch the news because there's nothing good." I couldn't fault him there...

So home again, home again jiggity-jig. I wasn't mad at this because I don't think I'm ready to share a meal with him. But he says he owes me when this is all over. Maybe by then I'll be ready. In the meantime: he made sure to give me his bills and money before I left!

No comments:

Post a Comment