Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Quick Easter Memory

As a single mother, there were some traditions I missed. One of them was an Easter egg hunt. My girls did the hunts with others but not with mom.

That is: until Easter 2018.  Even though they are grown, that was the year I decided to surprise them with an Easter egg hunt. Not a childish one: nope! I had a little financial windfall around that time so instead of candy I put money in those plastic eggs. I was so eggs-cited, ha ha! (did you see what I did there?)

I had to wait quite a while for them to go  to bed because they were adults, but finally I had the downstairs to myself and commenced stuffing and hiding the plastic eggs.  I hid them in the living room, foyer, kitchen, freezer, and dining room.  Then I had to go to bed and wait for them to wake up.

And wait. And wait...they didn't know about the hunt and you know they were sleeping in! I was frustrated, but they finally appeared around 1 in the afternoon. "Happy Easter," they said.

"Happy Easter!!!" I exclaimed. "I have a surprise for you!" I could barely contain myself as I explained about the egg hunt. "And instead of candy: there's CASH in the eggs!" Well that's all I had to say: they were off!

Of course Brie took the lead and started out finding more eggs; so I whispered to Kitty where a couple of them were to make it more even. And it was so much fun! By the time they recouped all the eggs, they had over $200 and the big prize was a $50 bill that Kitty found. She was thrilled!

I'm pretty sure I was mother of the year that day. I'm also pretty sure they were hoping I'd do it again the following year but that didn't happen.  They're adults! But I'm glad I was able to fulfill this activity for my girls. And I think they liked the cash more than candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment