Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Celebrating the Olympics

Unless you've been living in a biosphere, everyone knows that the Olympic Opening Ceremonies were last Friday. I like the Olympics and can admire the dedication and determination of the athletes, but I've never really sat down to watch the opening ceremonies.

This year was no different.  There was no time to watch anything: we had shopping to do at Wal-Mart and had to go to the Olive Garden for dinner! The food was so good, and Brie loves their Roscato wine.  She had a couple of glasses of it at dinner, so she was feeling pretty good because red wine  hits her more than white.

Anyhoo, we finally got home and she decided to have one more glass (yes, she had a bottle at home).  We were pretending we were watching WWE Smackdown: I was in the kitchen on the computer and Brie was just talking and enjoying her wine.  When she was finished, and wrestling was over, we flipped through channels and the Olympics were still on.  They had talked earlier about how the Queen had jumped out of a plane and parachuted into the ceremonies, even though it was a hoax.

So...this made Brie decide that she needed to do something to commemorate the opening ceremonies of the Olympics as well.  She decides, after 3 glasses of wine, to do a cheer in the kitchen.  I looked up from the computer to see exactly how she was going to do this.  She gets in the middle of the floor, says a little cheer, and then jumps up to do a split in the air.  As I watched her leap, I realized 2 things: 1) she can't do a split; and 2) she was going to hit the lowered part of the ceiling.

Sure enough: her hands went up and it was like slow-motion: her right hand hit the ceiling.  She yelped in pain as she came back down and bent over.  I didn't dare laugh: what if she'd broken something?  She kept saying, "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow" over and over and I felt really bad for her.  She finally lifted up her head and said, "Are you laughing?" "No!  Are you hurt?  Do you need to go to the emergency room?"  "I'm okay," she said, holding her hand and pouting.  She looked up again and there were tears in my eyes.  "Oh go ahead and laugh: I know you want to mom!" and I burst out laughing. I'm sorry but that was one of the funniest things I'd seen in a long time, and I had tears in my eyes from trying to hold back the laughter. Don't worry: she laughed too.  I felt bad for 2 reasons: 1) I know it hurt; and 2) I know it blew her wine buzz.

So that's how we celebrated the opening of the Olympics.  I wonder what she's going to do for the closing ceremonies????

😀





No comments:

Post a Comment