Saturday, July 21, 2012

Next Time We'll Do Lunch

I was really optimistic that today was going to be a good day.  My sister decided that she wasn't going to go to the salon this morning, so it was just me and Kitty.  I thought we'd be done in time to go to the Peppermill for breakfast, but Annette was a little backed up so we missed breakfast there.  Brie called to see what we were doing, so we decided to go have breakfast at Denny's.

Don't get me wrong: we like Denny's.  Judging by my waistline, you can tell I really like their dinner rolls.  But it was noon without a roll in sight, so we settled on breakfast.  But I knew we were in trouble as soon as the waitress got to our table.  Let's just say I could tell she wasn't part of the "A" team. She brought our drinks and managed to slosh Kitty's on the table and my hand, and forgetting my drink.  Then she comes to mop it up and misses half of it. I give her my simple order of an original grand slam and she asks what I want in it.  Um...whatever it says on the menu it comes with, thanks.  Then Brie asked her about the cheese sauce for her omelette, and she kept talking about the cheese inside.  When Brie got tired of trying to explain her question, she just said to fix it however it said on the menu.

When she comes back with our food, Kitty's is perfect. My eggs are overcooked and Brie can't identify the meats in her omelette. Plus she didn't even get the cheese sauce!  When she mentions this the girl goes back and comes out with a saucer of spicy cheese and jalepeno.  Nope: Brie can't eat that!  So while Kitty enjoyed her picture-perfect meal, I could only eat part of my pancakes and Brie ate part of her not-totally-cooked hash browns and played the game of is it prime rib? chorizo? or bacon in my mouth? The world may never know, and we sure didn't want to ask!

The second best part was when the girl was vacuuming around us and told Brie how much she liked her designer bag.  "Was it expensive?" she asked. "I got it for a good price." "Where?" "New York City." "Oh it's fake, huh?" The indignant look on Brie's face was priceless, as was the fact she was speechless.

The girl came around again and noticed Kitty's footwear. "Those are cool sandals.  Did you get them at TJ Maxx?" "No, at Wal-Mart." "Do they come in black?" "I'm sure they come in many assorted colors." "Does the thing between your toes hurt?" "No." "I'd like to get a pair if they're not going to hurt my toes."  For heaven's sake: they were flip flops!

Finally we couldn't stand it anymore and went to pay and leave: not that I wanted to pay for Brie's debacle of an omelette!  But here's the best part of all: we got up to leave and were heading for the register.  This older couple had just come in and the hostess was getting ready to show them to their table.  The woman stops and says, "Excuse me, but I have to ask a question.  Are you two twins?" She was indicating me and Brie!!!

Well I felt like a million bucks as Brie fumed, and I said, "No we're not twins because she's older." Then the lady and I shared a laugh, which Brie did not.  How awesome was that for me??  It made up for the less than stellar late breakfast.  For me, at least!

As Brie stomped to the car she said, "Next time I don't care what time it is.  We're going to the Peppermill!"

>--<


No comments:

Post a Comment