Saturday, August 4, 2012

Queen of My Soul

I've had music in my soul since I was a toddler. I couldn't imagine my life without music in it; and of course I believe I have exquisite, and eclectic, taste in music.  I am also good at loving songs that no one else seems to remember.  My sister always says I'm making them up because she doesn't remember any of them. I tell her it's because I have a memory like an elephant when it comes to music.  Plus, I worked at an oldies radio station which helped to refresh my musical memory.

I'll give you an example: everyone knows the song "Feelings" by Morris Albert, because everyone hates that sappy song.   But how many people remember the song that I think I want for my first dance with my husband: "Sweet Loving Man" by Morris Albert? NOBODY!!  That song is so romantic, and sexy, and so un-like "Feelings", yet I'm the only person who knows it.  Why is that? Guess you'll have to come to my wedding to hear it!

Here's another one: "Simone" by Henry Gross.  Now everyone remembers "Shannon", which I never liked.  Again, my sister said it was one of my "imaginary" songs. So not true!

Here's a list of 11 awesome songs that no one else seems to remember, but I have them on CD and cassette tape.  How many people can still brag about having cassettes made in the 60's, that still play?? Certron, you ROCKED!!

  • "Right Relations" by Johnny Rivers. Never shows up on any of his "best of" compilations, but it's his best song ever.
  • "Work To Do" and "A Love of Your Own" by AWB. Those white boys from Scotland had more soul than some black groups I know.  They were much more than just "Pick Up the Pieces".
  • "Duncan" by Paul Simon.  Such a gut-wrenching song that gets me right in the heart.
  • "That Girl" by Crosby, Stills and Nash. Maybe no one knows it because Young wasn't there?
  • "Mississippi" by John Phillips. I think it may have been about a prostitute, but maybe that's just me. Not me as a prostitute, haha!
  • "25th of Last December" by Roberta Flack.  Talk about a heartbreaker - and it's impossible to find.
  • "At Last" by the Fatback Band.  Forget Etta James - this is the version I'm walking down the aisle to!  You know how I love a hot sax...
  • "Jesus for Tonight" by Michel Polnareff. He was cute, he was French, I saw him once on American Bandstand but the song still resonates with me.
  • "Beyond the Blue Horizon" by Lou Christie.  They play like...22 seconds of this song in the movie "Rain Man" while Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffmann are driving off across the plains...
  • "Never Let Go" by Eastbound Expressway.  Maybe one of the reasons I couldn't find it was because I thought it was the Trans Europe Expressway.  Great dance tune from the late 70's; we used to tear up the dance floor at the Golden Grill in Saratoga back in the day.  Ahhh: memories!  Shout out to the crew of engineers we knew and danced with from RPI!!
Anyhoo, that's just a few of my "imaginary" tunes.  Trust me: there are many more, but I'll let you take the time to YouTube these to see if they're real!

No comments:

Post a Comment