Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's The Thought That Counts

Ah Christmas: the season that proves it's better to give than receive.  And no one embodies this principle better than Kitty.

She loves to give presents, and she really got in the spirit of things this season.  She and Brie don't always get along 100% but they do love each other.  And this Christmas, for the first time, Kitty bought Brie's Christmas gifts first.  And she bought her 4!  They were very thoughtful gifts and 2 she was able to open already: her Yankees ornament is hanging on the Christmas tree and her Yankees stocking is up and ready to be filled.  The other 2 gifts: well I can't tell you that!  But they will be enjoyed just as much; and she knows her sister will get her something that she'll be very pleased with.

One item on Kitty's list that I really didn't think anyone was going to get for her was another limited edition Living Dead Doll: Elisa Day.  Last year she had received Frozen Charlotte, a very rare doll to add to her collection.  Trust me; she was lucky to get that considering how much it costs.  But I digress...

Getting back to Elisa Day: Kitty had seen her on eBay for $175.  I knew I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a doll, rare or not.  But then last week I started thinking: she'd really been a good girl and very helpful, so maybe I could go in with my sister on the doll.  So I went on eBay, but the doll she wanted wasn't there.  I checked Amazon: not there.  I actually emailed the manufacturer to see if they had one of the dolls, but they emailed me back the next day and said they were sorry, but it had been a limited edition and it was an older doll so they were completely sold out.  I felt bad about this, but went home and told Kitty that the company had contacted me and said there were no more Elisa Day dolls.  She was disappointed, but then said it was all right and went up to her room.

A little while later she came back downstairs and said, "I told the other dolls that Elisa Day wasn't coming until maybe the new year and they understood."  I said, "Honey, they don't have any more."  "Well mom Sadie called her and she said she'd be here after Christmas."  I said, "What cell plan did Sadie use, haha!"  She just looked at me and then went in the other room.  About half an hour later Brie came into the kitchen with a weird look on her face.  I said, "What's up with you?"  She said, "Mom, I just walked past Kitty's room and her door was open.  All of the dolls were standing on their platform except for Sadie. She was standing up in the middle of Kitty's bed with a cell phone beside her!"  I just laughed and replied, "Yeah, your sister said that Sadie called Elisa Day."  "Mom, that's just freaky!"  "No, it's just your sister.  Relax."

Friday rolls around and I'm at work.  The phone rings and it's Kitty. "Hi mom I need to tell you something. Everything's fine here at home; and I just ordered Elisa Day."  "What do you mean you ordered her?  There weren't any left!"  "Well, I went back on eBay this morning and there she was for only $125, brand new so I ordered her.  And I even got free shipping!"  "That's great Kitty!  It's what you wanted for Christmas."  That's what I said, but I was thinking 'wtf'?  There were NO dolls available.  But leave it to Ms. Kitty to have one magically appear back on eBay, and $50 cheaper!

And THEN she says, "But I have a little bad news.  Paying for her used up most of my Christmas money, so now I only have $5 to buy you a present.  But you know what?  There are some soda bottles around the house, so I can recycle them to have more money to buy your present."  Really Kitty?  I said, "That's okay, you getting Elisa Day is a good enough present for me."  "No mom there's something I really want to get for you, so I'll recycle the bottles to get  your gift; and then next week when I get paid again I'll buy Pumpkin her presents."

So...apparently this is how I rank on the present scale: her sister got her presents bought first, then she bought her own gift, next week Pumpkin gets paycheck gifts, but mom gets recycled bottle-money gifts!  Is that really the spirit of Christmas?  But I actually thought it was rather funny.  It never matters to me if I get presents or not; and it was a totally Kitty thing to say!

And you know what?  At the end of the day, no matter how much or little it costs, Kitty always gets something very thoughtful and appropriate for mom.  And I can't WAIT to see what I get this year! 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment