Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day...?

I am still recovering from my illness.  It's been 3 weeks now.  Good grief!  Si since I spent most of this Mother's Day in bed, I'm going to share with you one of my former Mother's Day stories to let you know why now I kind of like to celebrate by myself:
One thing I love about holidays is you never know what the kids will get you.  I especially had no idea what I was in for on this particular Mother’s Day!
It started off well: Schmoop-dog and I went to church; then he took me out to lunch.    The sun was shining, birds were singing: all was right with the world.  Or was it?
We stopped by my parents’ to drop off some things for my mother: flowers and a card with a little something in it for her enjoyment.  However, when we arrived my mother asked, “Have you called home lately?”
These words never boded well.  “No.”
“I received a call from there and I think your daughters are trying to kill each other.”
“Okay then.”
Instead of calling, I decided to just head home.  Creeping up the stairs, I heard no WWIII sounds, which meant nothing.  By the way: my daughters loved each other and were each other’s allies.  But every so often: look out!
We entered the empty kitchen.  Rounding the corner into the living room I found Brie in a chair and no sign of Her Majesty; and it looked like a tornado had gone through the room!  “What happened?!”
“Kitty tried to kill me!”
I studied the rubble: the phone was torn from the wall, a broken video tape was in the middle of the room, and the couch cushions were askew. By this time Kitty had emerged.  “Mom, I hate Brie!  She hit me in the head!”
I glowered at Brie, who quickly recanted: “No I didn’t!  She was trying to kill me so I got up from the computer and went to run, and my elbow accidentally might have hit her in the head.”
“How was your elbow by her head?”
“Um, I kind of raised my arms and…”
“That’s enough!” I snapped.  “What about this room?”
“Brie was taking too much time on the computer and I wanted to use it.  She called me a name so I threw a videotape at her – “  “At my head!”  “- and it broke.  I’m sorry I broke your tape mom.”
I picked up the pieces.  “It’s not my tape Kitty, it’s yours.  Why’s the phone cord torn?”
“I wanted to call Grandma again but Kitty snatched the phone from me and tore it from the wall!
“And the couch?”
“When she threatened me I got on the couch to get away from her and she grabbed my arm and started twisting it!  She tried to break it!”
I threw up my hands in exasperation.  “Why is it always my stuff that gets destroyed?  Both of you go to your room and if I hear any noise, arguing, grumbling or anything I’m coming in there!”
“Thanks a lot Brie!” Kitty muttered as she stormed off, followed by her sister.
All through this Schmoop hadn’t uttered a peep.  But now he turned to me and said, “Happy Mother’s Day…”
Now that the girls are women it's not that bad, but still: on Saturday I was reminiscing to myself about the wonderful gift I had been given:  a day to myself!  I got my hair done alone, treated myself to lunch alone, went to Harry and David to buy myself some treats alone and even shopped at the Dress Barn and only bought clothes for me.  What an awesome day that was!   Oh well: there's hope for next year :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment