Friday, May 13, 2011

The Second Coming

With all the hype going on about “May 21st” supposedly being the end of the world according to some religious groups, I’m going to give a very short opinion about that.  I actually read the entire article that was on MSN about how this group came up with the formula to predict the exact end of the world.  All of their sources supposedly came from the Bible, and they coordinated all the calendars to line up the dates to come to this date of May 21st.   Well, it may have sounded “plausible” in theory, and I loved all the numbers and dates that they had in that long article.  However, they kind of lost their credibility when they wrote, “And by using these calendars we see that Jesus was born in the year 7 BC.”  7 BC?   How did that happen?  According to them, Jesus was born 7 years before he was even born.  Was that the true miracle of Christmas?  I think they need to go back and recalculate!
And they also said, “No man knows when our Lord will return.”  Um…then why are you telling us it’s going to be May 21st????  If no one knows, then why are you throwing that date out there??  Darn charlatans!  Anyone who buys into this truly needs to go back to their Bible and what it says.
And now that we have that out of the way, I’m going to tell you one of my favorite recent stories involving Brie.  One thing about her is that she is the deepest sleeper I have ever come across.  She has slept through everything: a hurricane, a tornado, an explosion at a plant that we used to live very close to, her sister cutting her underwear when they were children (don’t ask!) and me screaming when the cat scared me while I was watching a scary movie and Brie was right on the couch!  So I have told her for years: “Brie, when the trumpet sounds, you are going to sleep through the second coming.  There will be no one left but you and your twin sister Luna.”  She just laughs and says, “No, I’m pretty sure I’ll hear that!”  Will you Brie?
Last Halloween Kitty was invited to a party and needed me to drive her there.  So after church I took my mother out to lunch and then went home, and by the time I had changed my clothes and straightened up a bit Kitty was in her costume and ready to go.  I asked her if she had told her sister we were leaving and she said she was sleeping.  I then decided to let Pumpkin ride along with us, since it took like 20 minutes to get to Christina’s house where the party was.  I put her in her pink Pumpkin carrier and carried her to the car.  I noticed that there were hardly any cars in our parking lot, and wondered where all the kids were.  Oh well, maybe everyone else was at Halloween parties too.  With that thought, the three of us were on our way!
After dropping Kitty off, I decided that it would be nice to stop off at my mother’s so Pumpkin could visit with her and my sister.  So I pulled into their driveway and picked up Pumpkin’s carrier.  It wasn’t until I was at the front door that I realized I had left my cell phone in the cup holder; but since I wasn’t expecting any calls I didn’t bother to go back to get it.  I let Pumpkin visit with great-granny and auntie Robin for an hour or so; then finally we got back in the car to go home until it was time to pick up Kitty.
As I was driving and neared where I’d turn into our parking lot, I noticed again a total lack of cars except for one.  Then as I turned in, I saw a rather odd sight.  It was Brie standing outside by her car.  When she saw me, she started yelling and gesticulating.  Of course I couldn’t understand what she was saying because I was in the car. When I finally parked and opened the door she shouted, “Where were you?  Why didn’t you answer your phone?”
“What’s the matter with you?” I asked, grabbing Pumpkin’s carrier.  “What are you doing outside?”
“I woke up and no one was here!  Pumpkin’s always here and she didn’t answer when I called!  I said ‘hoo-dat hoo-dat hoo-dat hoo’ and she didn’t come!  I turned the corner and there was Luna, just looking at me as she cleaned her paw!  I couldn’t find Victoria!  There was no one here but me and Luna!  Then I called you and no answer.  I called Kitty and no answer.  NO one answered their phone and you weren’t here!”
I started laughing at her hysterics.  “And…?”
“And I thought I’d missed the trumpet!  I thought everyone was gone but me and Luna!  I even came outside, and there were no cars: just the wind blowing little pieces of paper around and there wasn’t a soul in sight!  I thought I’d been left behind!”
By this time I was laughing so hard I was almost crying.  “Brie, I took Kitty to her party and she probably doesn’t have her phone on.  Then I took Punky to visit grandma and Robin, and I left my phone in the car because I wasn’t expecting any calls.”
“Well if you look at your phone now you’ll see I called you four times,” she pouted.  “Don’t scare me like that again!”
I was so sorry that she’d been afraid she’d slept through the trumpet.  But it was still funny to me!
So with that said, let’s not waste any time worrying about May 21st.  The Lord will come when he’s good and ready; not when some religious fanatics declare it.  And I'm sure He'll take Brie and Luna.  ‘Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment