Monday, March 11, 2024

That's Not Who I'm Waiting For!

 Over the weekend, I just happened to think of these two incidents and they made me laugh to myself.

Junior, my really good friend, had moved to Texas for business.  I had missed him and was so glad when he announced he was moving back to the area. We made plans to meet up as soon as he returned.

I arrived at the Mikado restaurant before he did, and the hostess led me to a corner table where I could see the door. I told her that I was waiting for a friend to join me momentarily. Maybe three minutes later, she arrives at my table with this young black woman I had never seen before. "Your friend has arrived!" The girl and I looked at each other with matching expressions of confusion. "Um...this isn't who I was waiting for," I said. "Oh, my apologies," the hostess said and hustled the young woman away as I chuckled to myself. And when Junior did arrive, the look on the hostess's face was priceless!

My place of employment hired a new Chief Diversity Officer. I happened to be on this particular search committee, so I had met him over the course of the interviewing/hiring process. Since I am on the Diversity committee, and we are both diverse, he wanted to meet with me to discuss what the former committee had done, familiarize himself with protocol: that sort of thing. So he wanted to do this over a working lunch and I said okay. It would be nice to get off campus for awhile. He volunteered to drive (probably because he had a brand new car to show off) and we were on our way.

We went to a place I hadn't been to in years, but that was fine as I liked the food. He let me out at the door and said he would park and be in shortly. I went in to get a table. I told the hostess that I was waiting for someone who was parking the car, so she put me at a table facing the door.

I was perusing the menu when the hostess came up to me and said, "Your husband is here." I looked up, and there was this guy, probably 6'3", black hair and brown eyes, in great shape wearing a black fitted t-shirt and black joggers, around 40 years old, and he was smiling at me from the hostess station. Now as much as I wanted to claim this guy as my husband, I chuckled and said, "Um...that isn't my husband. I actually don't have a husband." The hostess looked back at him and said, "Are you sure?" I laughed out loud at that. "I'm sure. The person I'm waiting for is much shorter." She laughed too. "Okay I'm sorry for the mistake." I wasn't, ha ha! And when the CDO came in, saw me and joined me, the hostess looked at me like 'you sure the first one wasn't your husband?' and shared a smile with me. To this day I haven't told the CDO about that incident!

Nothing like starting your Monday off with a smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment