Friday, June 23, 2023

My Odd Thought For Today

 As I was brushing my teeth this morning, the most random question popped into my head: does God have teeth? Where in the world had that come from? My initial thought was no He doesn't. After all: what would He need them for? And isn't He mostly Spirit? 

Then I thought about Jesus. He had teeth, but that's while He was on earth in his human form. So when He ascended into Heaven, I presume He returned to his spiritual form which meant He probably didn't have teeth. I don't think the Trinity is eating anything right now. I know in descriptions of Heaven from the Bible, there will be huge grapes and such; and we will be eating from the Tree of Life so we will have teeth as you need them to eat fruit.

I decided to run this question by Brie. "So...do you think God has teeth?" She blinked blankly at me. "What? I think so because He must have had a real face when He showed himself to Moses at the burning bush." "No, the bush didn't have a human appearance. "And when Moses asked God to show himself, God said he would perish if he saw His full glory. "Then Moses said, 'Now, please show me your glory'." Exodus 33:18 But "The Lord answered, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will announce my name, the Lord, so you can hear it. I will show kindness to anyone to whom I want to show kindness, and I will show mercy to anyone to whom I want to show mercy. But you cannot see my face, because no one can see me and live. “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes that place, I will put you in a large crack in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you will see my back. But my face must not be seen.” Exodus 33:19-23

Then I mentioned this: "Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?" John 14:9

However, have you noticed how when we depict God, He is always an old man with wild white hair and flaming eyes? Those pictures don't look like pictures of Jesus. So maybe it was metaphorical, based on His spirituality and indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Who knows? But it's interesting to think about!

Speaking of interesting, I have to share this photo with you. Brie said not to because it's kind of scary, but this has me fascinated. You know how cherubim are always depicted as little adorable chubby angel babies? Well I'm not sure where that description comes from, but if you go to the book of Ezekiel, Chapter 10, you will find the actual description of the cherubim. The description is too long for me to post here, but I will show the picture I found:

As you can see, there is a lot happening in this picture (I wish it was bigger so you could see all of it). Quick description: the angel has four faces, one of a man, one of a cherub, one of a lion and one of an eagle. Under the wings are the hands of a man. There are actually four wheels like chrysolite and each wheel intersects another wheel. The wheels are covered in eyes, as are the entire bodies of cherubim (including their backs, hands and wings). When they move, the wheels move with them. When they are still, so are the wheels. Whatever direction the cherubim would go, they wouldn't have to turn because there is a face on each side.

Whew, that's a lot to take in! But I find this kind of stuff fascinating!

So from my odd question, I got a little Bible study in here for you too. Just goes to show: you never know what you're going to get when you read one of my posts. And I really do appreciate all of you for reading 💟 




No comments:

Post a Comment