Thursday, June 1, 2023

My Country Gospel Song

 I am just a single dad

Doing what I can.

Trying to raise my girl up right

It's hard when you're a man.

But I did the best I could

And taught her dark from light.

Than one night she came to me

With quite a terrible plight.

Someone help me with my girl,

Who all will that be?

I heard a voice inside that said,

"God, Allen Jackson and me."

Crying, my girl came to me

She had a broken heart.

Because her man betrayed her trust

The two just had to part.

I thought he had been good to her

Suspended all belief.

To my surprise he was just

A liar and a cheat.

Someone help me with her grief,

Who all can that be?

Once again I heard a voice,

"God, Allen Jackson and me."

Cheating wasn't all he did

Of drugs he was a user. 

Something else rose from his past: 

He was an abuser.

Seeing my daughter cry and cry

Just tore my heart in two.

I bowed my head and said aloud,

"Lord, what can I do?"

Then I heard that still, small voice

"You know what you should say,

"My words are nestled in your heart

"So bring them out today."

I took my daughter's hand in mine,

The message to impart:

"God and I are sorry that

"You have a broken heart.

"But there are things that God can see

"And we don't have a clue.

"He had to take you out of this

It's how he's protecting you."

I knew that God had all in hand

And one day she would see,

How she was taken care of by

God, Allen Jackson and me.

I turned the television on,

A pastor began to speak.

As we listened my girl and I

Were on the edge of our seats.

"You might not know a reason now

"But trust: one day you will.

"God will take away your pain

"For now: peace be still."

My daughter looked at me in awe:

"It's just like you had said!

"God is always here for me

"And keeps me safe from dread."

Thankfully, she understood

And clearly she could see,

She'd be fine, thanks to us:

God, Allen Jackson and me."

I'll be shopping this one around! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment