Wednesday, September 21, 2022

It's For A Good Cause!

 I was sitting on my sofa minding my own business (mistake #1) when Brie came home from work. "Guess what?" she said. "What?" "We're having a bake sale at work!" "Cool. What are you contributing?" "Your famous brownies."

I rolled my eyes. "Are you making my famous brownies?" "Well no. But because you're so smart and pretty and the bestiest baker ever, I figured that you would like to make them." Ugh. "Why me?" "Because it's for a good cause!"

It might have been for a good cause, but it wasn't my good cause. However, I begrudgingly said I would make them. "When do you need them?" "Not for a couple of weeks. I was volun-told that I needed to be on the committee so this will be my contribution." "Okay."

A week later, I was sitting on my sofa minding my own business (mistake #2) when Brie came home from work. "Have I told you lately how much I love you, and how pretty you look sitting there and oh so young?" she said, smiling sweetly at me. I gave her a look. "What?" "I have good news for you!" Now I was really suspicious. "What?" "Well, you no longer have to make your famous brownies." I sighed in relief. "Great! So what are you making instead?" "Um, your famous chocolate covered bacon!"

"Are you kidding me??? I'd rather make the brownies! Why did you mention the bacon?" She had the grace to look contrite. "It wasn't me, it was Becky! She was telling the big boss about how I had brought in some before, and it was so delicious, and he was like oh I've never even heard of that, who made it? and she was like Brie's mom Rita and so they decided that the chocolate covered bacon would be a big seller and it's for a good cause!"

Yes my chocolate covered bacon (it really is a thing) is wonderful and merges savory and sweet in the best way possible, but it's a pain to make. And to make enough for a bake sale? I glowered at my oldest daughter. "You soooo owe me!" "Thanks momma!! It will be the best thing at the bake sale! And remember: it's for a good cause." "Yeah, yeah."

I put it off for as long as I could, but by 9:00 pm Sunday night I knew I had to make that chocolate covered bacon for the next day before I fell asleep. It's a bit of a process and takes quite a while, especially when you're making enough for a bake sale and I don't use the pre-cooked bacon (I don't trust it)! However, it was for a good cause! So I had the oven going because that's how I cook my bacon. I had to monitor the bacon, make sure I had snack bags to divide it up into, make the chocolate dipping concoction. All with no help from the person on the committee who was currently on the sofa! 

Finally, around midnight, the luscious chocolate covered bacon was all laid out on sheets to harden overnight. I told Brie the least she could do would be to put it in the snack bags in the morning, which she graciously agreed to do 😒

Fast forward to mid-morning the next day. I hadn't heard from Brie so I emailed her. "Hey, how's the bake sale going? Did they like the bacon? Did it sell out fast?" After a few minutes I got this reply:

"Um...the bacon was the biggest hit! It didn't quite make it to the sale. I gave a snack bag to Becky, and then I couldn't leave out her boss. He loved it so I actually tried a piece, and it was soooo delicious! Then Laurel wanted to know what we were all eating so I gave her a bag too, along with Trevor. Long story short: it never left my team and we ate all of it!"

"WHAT???" I typed. "You said it was for the bake sale and a good cause!"

"It was, but they had enough stuff. Cookies and cupcakes and the like. Everyone on my team loved the bacon and said thank you and you're the best!"

So it looks like I slaved over a hot stove for the good cause of her and her greedy co-workers! Brie soooo owes me!



No comments:

Post a Comment