Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Sometimes I Feel Like...

 ...Somebody's watching me. And I know exactly who it is: the internet and more specifically: Google. Seriously: how do they know what I'm looking at within five seconds of me looking at it???

A couple of weeks ago during my lunch break, I was looking to see what kind of good clearance items they had on the Torrid website. I have a collection of "date night" clothes and wanted to add to it in case someone wanted to take me to the Ridge Terrace before they close for the season (hint hint). 

Anyhoo, there was this really great electric blue dress that was FINALLY on clearance, and in my size! I hurriedly put it in my cart, along with its sister in black in case I lose my nerve with the blue one. It's a little out of character for me, but not for the Ridge Terrace! Or 15 Church, for that matter 😉 Then I found a couple of nice tops I'd had my eye on and now they were clearance too! So I put 3 in the cart (you know I had to get one for Brie or else I'd never hear the end of it once she saw them!) and a t-shirt dress I can't wait to wear. I placed my order and was satisfied.

A few minutes later a co-worker came over with a non-work question about a recall he had heard about. I looked in my email and I had one listing different recalls. I clicked on it (as I always do when I see recall alerts) and not only did the list of recalls come up: but also on top were all of the items I had just bought! He's a smart man so didn't say anything, but he was fighting to not burst out laughing as I clicked on the recall he had mentioned. The only thing that would have been more embarrassing was if I had ordered lingerie!

Then, when I went on Instagram and Facebook a little later: there were the ads for those same items! Why am I being stalked by the internet? Why does the internet want people to know what I buy??

I'm sure some people think it's a good thing so they never miss a sale or get to see new items coming up, but I find it a bit creepy. I don't need their suggestions of what I might like: nor do i need them reminding me of what i bought or that the price is now 70% off instead of 60%. Leave me alone!

But if I'm being completely honest, and I do try to be, there is one ad that I don't mind seeing at all. One day I was thinking about my new favorite show, Yellowstone, and a commercial I had seen. So I went to the website of Tecovas boots, which is what they wear on the show. No I didn't buy any because they're like $275 a pair, but I am not mad when those ads pop up! Rip, feel free to call me and I'll put on that blue dress for ya! 



No comments:

Post a Comment