Wednesday, February 23, 2022

I Love Lucy

 This is subtitled "A Shameless Plug". 

Once upon a time, I inherited a car repair shop from my former next door neighbor, Mark. My car needed some work and he said, "Take it to my guy Matt. He's a great mechanic and will give you a good deal. Just tell him I sent you." I didn't know how much weight Mark's name held, but decided to try it anyway because I needed a good price on the work that needed to be done.

And guess what: it worked! I did get a great deal. But the thing is: Brie went with me to drive me back home. It turned out that she and Matt had worked at the Great Escape together when they were teenagers! So they reminisced and I think she was very instrumental in the good price too! To say nothing of the excellent service provided by Matt. So that place became our shop of choice.

Until Matt left for greener pastures and I can't say that I blamed  him because the shop went through a metamorphosis, and not in a good way.

Anyhoo: when my car needed work Brie actually messaged Matt to find out where he went. He said the magic words: ABC Transmissions. I knew nothing about this place but if Matt worked there, it must be all right.

What an understatement! The owner and everyone associated with this place always go above and beyond with us. Great service, great people, great price and...Lucy!

The first time I went there to pay when my car was ready, I entered the office. Lying In the corner was a behemoth that looked like competition for Cerberus, except with only one head. It looked at me and I looked at it, then it slowly rose and headed towards me. Fight or flight reaction went through me until Al, the owner said, "This is Lucy. Say hi to Rita, Lucy."

Lucy? Such a harmless name for a dog that could easily have torn me to pieces! She came over, sniffed me ( I was hoping she didn't smell my dogs on me and attack!) and then must have deemed me okay. Lucy was the biggest female dog I had ever seen. Al told me that she was a French Mastiff.  I tentatively reached out to pat her on the head, and she let me. I sat down and she came to sit in front of me for me to continue petting her. "Aww," Al began, "she really likes you!"

Thank God she did! She turned out to be a gentle giant. I noticed that she was wearing a huge pink collar with shiny decorations. She has spa days (wish I had one!) and knows she's pretty. Um...at first I thought she had a face only a mother could love. Never mind her head is bigger than both of my dogs put together! She is six years old and weighs 191 pounds. Her wagging tail alone could take me out at the knees. But she loves me and I have come to see the hidden beauty in her large jowly face.

So whenever I go there, Lucy greets me like an old friend. I sit down and pet her and tell her what a pretty girl she is. I admire her girly pink collar (which could wrap around both of my dogs) and talk to her as she sits her 191 pound self on my foot like it's a cushion. If I stop petting her, she turns her head around or looks up at me like, "Um...I don't think you were done loving me yet".  Yesterday, when they were changing a headlight for me (gratis) I was rubbing her back and sides and telling her stories about how spoiled my puppies were. She looked at me like she understood. Oh I'm sure Al and his wife spoil her too!

So my shameless plug is for ABC Transmissions on Saratoga Road in South Glens Falls. You can tell them Rita sent you! And don't be afraid of Lucy: she's a softy wrapped up in a huge body. I love Lucy!

Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what a French Mastiff looks like, although Lucy is bigger and more solid. Can't wait until I get to visit her again. But I hope it's just a social call! 🚗





No comments:

Post a Comment