Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I Just Wanted Something For Lunch

 I was at work yesterday waiting for lunchtime when I realized I had nothing for lunch. Well, I had a small can of pineapple rings, some peanut butter and Ritz crackers (yes I'm able to eat them again!) but you know I didn't want any of that. I decided to check the specials for one of the places I like, to see if that would work. And yes: they had a cup of baked potato soup, 1/2 a grilled cheese and ham sandwich and a cupcake for $11.95 as their special. I figured it had better be the best cupcake in the world as I eagerly dialed their number to put in my order. The phone rang and rang, no one picked up and then a recording came on. WTH? I checked the number again to be sure I was dialing correctly, it rang and rang, no one picked up and the same recording came on. Ugh! Could they be that busy? So I went back to their Facebook page and saw a note from 2/10 saying they were having problems with their phone so to dial this other number. I eagerly dialed that number: it was a fax machine! Ugh!! 

I thought about just driving over, but they are usually so busy if you don't call in ahead of time, you'll be waiting and I didn't have that much time to waste. Ugh! So no cupcake for Rita!

Then I decided I should just walk over to our cafeteria and get a nice chef salad. Then I remembered that they haven't had Spring Mix for a year; and how did I know if they used Dole salad mix, which has all been recalled? Ugh! No salad for Rita!

I finally hit upon just going to KFC for an extra crispy drumstick. Or hey: maybe a chicken pot pie! Those are good. So I got in my car and drove to KFC. And there was no line, so that was a good sign. I gave my order to the employee and then drove around to pick up my soda and pot pie. I paid, and the employee first gave me my card back, and then handed me my soda. I noticed that it seemed inordinately full, so I swished it around for a few seconds. "Excuse me," I began when I had his attention, "you forgot to put ice in my Dr. Pepper." "No I didn't. We don't have any ice as our machine is broken." For some reason this really annoyed me. "No ice? Isn't that something you should have told me beforehand since now I don't have a cold refreshing drink?" "I'm sorry."

Well so was I! Now I had my delicious chicken pot pie, and a warm soda which just didn't go together. Just my luck. 

So I drove back to work, sat back at my desk and only pouted for another minute or two about my Dr. Pepper. I mean it wasn't the employee's fault that the ice machine was broken.  I dug into my chicken pot pie. I could tell it was a different recipe but that didn't matter because it was delicious. However. along with this new recipe I saw they had added more peas! Ugh, I hate peas! So now I had to eat around them and move them aside so none would sneak into my mouth. Seriously!

Yeah I know: it's a first world problem. And you know what? I have the same problem today! One day I will learn to bring lunch from home every day. At least that way I know what I'm getting!

No comments:

Post a Comment