Friday, March 12, 2021

Love is on the Way

 A lot of things go through my mind while I am at physical therapy. Monday, while I was laying on the table having my arm stretched by my favorite therapist, the song "Love is on the Way" by Saigon Kick came over the speakers. This song immediately took me back...

It was 1990, and my sister Robin's favorite group of the moment was Extreme. Their songs weren't the first thing she liked: it was Nuno Bettencourt, the long-haired dreamy guitar player born in Portugal. Yes, that was her main attraction! Sure he was good looking but I liked his nerdy partner, Gary Cherone because that's who I am!

Anyhoo, we found out that they were coming to the Palace Theatre. Oh yeah: we had to go see them! So I got up very early one Saturday morning to make the trek to Albany to get the best tickets I could. Sitting on stage would have been preferable but no such tickets! However I did get 3rd row center so I knew Robin would pleased. 

The evening of the concert arrived and as luck would have it: I had an upper respiratory infection. I felt terrible: and also it was the coldest day of late winter. But if you think Robin would feel any sympathy you are wrong! So I loaded up my purse with kleenex and my medication and apple juice, bundled up for the below zero temperature and drove Robin the almost 50 miles to the Palace Theatre

I was a little nervous when I saw the sign saying security was checking bags. But thankfully they didn't bat an eye at my medical supplies. So we took our seats and waited for the magic to happen.

Robin was thrilled with the seats and couldn't wait for Nuno to appear on stage. However, she found out she had to sit through Saigon Kick first. This was a duo that only had one hit that I can recall. They sat on stools in the middle of the stage and began.

Apparently, it only took a few minutes for the guitar player to notice my sister. And I know he must have liked what he saw because during his big guitar riff he got up, came to the edge of the stage and began playing right to Robin! Her eyes got big and she looked at me, and I giggled. "Oh he likes you Sissy!" Yep: apparently love was on the way for him because he was mesmerized! Way to go Robin!

Shortly thereafter, Extreme hit the stage and the guitar player was forgotten. Robin's night was made when she got to touch Nuno's hand and also his long luxurious hair. I was just happy that my meds kicked in and I didn't have a coughing fit.

Alas, no dreams came true for me that night. But every time we heard Love is on the Way after that, I would say, "There's your husband Robin!"

And that's why I will always love that song: because of the memories of a good concert with Robin. I miss those days, and her. Sissy loves you ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment