Wednesday, January 6, 2021

When I Hear Music

 My sister was truly a lover of all kinds of music. I am too, but there was some I would have missed if not for her. She and Clancy had collections of CDs and vinyl. Lucky them!

But Robin and I went to concerts together and such, so I didn't feel too left out. And if I happened to be listening to a classic rock station and an unfamiliar song would come on: i knew I could call her and she could give me the details about it.

That's a big part of what I miss about her. A couple of years ago I was in the car and the song Home By the Sea came on. Was it Phil Collins or Genesis? How had I never heard it before? And the first thought I had was, "I wonder if Robin knows this song?" Then I was sad because I couldn't call her to find out.

This happened most recently maybe four days ago. The local classic rock station was playing a John Mellencamp song I had never heard before and it was awesome! Robin and I loved John Mellencamp so I had no idea how we could have missed this one. The deejay mentioned something about 2006 so maybe it had come out then. Regardless, I had to download this song and play it continually.

This morning I was working from home and decided I wanted to see if there was a video of this song i could watch. I had to scroll through a little bit but then found a live performance on the David Letterman Show from 1993! I couldnt believe it was that old. Here's how he was introduced: "My next guest is from Indiana, just like me. He was going to do a fantastic song from his upcoming album Human Wheels but it was too long. So he's going to do another song that is just as fantastic! From his upcoming album Human Wheels." Or something to that effect. You can YouTube it.

Anyhow, the name of the song is What If I Came Knocking and it is killer. As I watched the performance it reminded me of one of the things on my and Robin's bucket list. We had plans to be on stage dancing with John Mellencamp! I'm not exactly sure how we were going to accomplish this but I'm a woman who makes things happen! I always got great seats for concerts. I got suite tickets for Eminem & Rihanna and the Derek Jeter Legacy game. I got free limo rides and free hockey tickets, just to name a few things. But I never got around to dancing with John Mellencamp back in the day. Now I'm sure neither one of us could do much dancing without creaks and groans and Tylenol! So that moves to the bottom of the bucket list.

So do yourself a favor and check out that song. You won't regret it. And if by some stretch any of you know Mr. Mellencamp: tell him to get in touch with me! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment