Tuesday, January 26, 2021

What's In a Name?

 

I was working today and listening to my Victrola, which is what my girls call the music on my phone. The song “By the Time I Get To Phoenix” by Glen Campbell came on. This song reminded me of “Wichita Lineman”, another favorite that they used to play at the ice skating rink back in the roaring ‘20s when I was a kid. And that song reminded me of a childhood nickname my brother Keith gave me as a child: Piggy Fleming.

He thought he was so clever. He gave me this nickname because I was a terrible ice skater, so not worthy of the name Peggy Fleming. I remember in Junior High he gave me the moniker “Wilt Chamberchick” due to my questionable basketball skills at that time. Hater.

But Carl, my oldest brother, and Keith did have weird nicknames given to them by one of our neighbors. Her name was Kimberly and she was their age. Every time she came over she wanted to play this weird game called “Uncle Jeff and Uncle Stony”.  It always seemed to involve them sitting in the swing set in the ride that sat four people and them "traveling" somewhere. Yet I was never allowed to be the 4th passenger. Carl’s middle name was Jeffrey so that nickname made sense. But why was Keith Uncle Stony?? Apparently for some reason my elementary school mind couldn’t comprehend. And I don’t want to comprehend it now either!

Somewhere around high school Keith acquired the nickname “Slick” and later it was “Uncle Slicky”. I wasn’t in with the in crowd so I don’t know where that came from, but I have a few ideas. I never called him that. My nickname for him was spawn of satan, but only in my head. I knew better than to say that out loud!

My sister’s nickname from my father was Rabbit. No idea why either: especially when he always told me that I ate like a rabbit. Keith gave the youngest his nickname. Clarence Jr. became Clancy, a good old fashioned Irish name. J Robin was Robespierre; and Keith also gave my parents their nicknames: Daddy Clank and Riri.

My actual family nickname came from my father. His name at work was Debbie, so I was dubbed “Little Debbie” and then just Debbie. But that’s only for family to use! And I actually prefer the nickname I was given in college: Brick House. The guys in the Radio Broadcasting program dubbed me that and I wasn’t mad about it!

Isn’t it amazing what goes through your mind just from hearing a song?? Or maybe it’s just my mind. Regardless: feel free to let me know what your nickname is, or was!

No comments:

Post a Comment