Friday, March 20, 2020

Don't Believe the Hype Part 2

I really enjoy these trips down memory lane: whether they are at my expense or anyone else's! I hope you enjoy this one too!

Many years ago, I took Her Majesty to Fright Fest in October.  Not because I like rides or being frightened.  But she really wanted to go, so I agreed.  We got some friends to go with us; and since one of them was pregnant I got to baby-sit her since she couldn’t go on any of the rides.
Eventually we got to Ghost Town where the Cyclone was.  Most in our group wanted to go on it, so Brindel and I sat on a bench.  There were weird noises coming from the building we were leaning against.  Looking around the corner; we saw a line of people.  A sign read “Zambora!”  “What’s that?” we wondered.  Another friend came up and read from the program: “Zambora: watch a woman transform herself into a gorilla!” 
Who wouldn’t want to see that?  We eagerly lined up!   
Finally we were at the door, getting the spiel: “What you are about to see is very frightening.  If you have any heart conditions, fainting problems, then turn back.  Once the door closes, there is no escape until the show is over.”   Now I wasn’t sure if I wanted to see Zambora or not, but it was too late…
Stepping into a jungle-decorated area: drums were beating, lights were pulsing.  In front was a cage cut into a wall, surrounded by a rope barricade.  We were joking around, but I thought:  what if the cage in front is to lull you into a false sense of security, and Zambora rushes us from behind? 
            Announcer:  “What you are about to see will truly astound you!  While visiting deep, dark Africa, scientists made an amazing discovery: a woman who could transform herself into a gorilla!”  The lights went on in the cage revealing a loincloth-wearing woman chained to the wall, pounding the walls and moaning as she thrashed from side to side.
 “The cage bars are reinforced tungsten steel; hopefully enough to thwart an escape.”  I looked around:  all that bare space behind us, plenty of room for Zambora to grab us because what if it’s an illusion in the cage, and the real Zambora is ready to strike?
“Science can’t explain it, we can’t contain it. Keep your eyes on the cage!”
I was completely sucked in.  Drums are pounding, the woman is screaming, lights are flashing:  I clutch Kitty with one hand and my friend Mel with the other, my eyes swiveling from the cage to the space behind us.  Cage, space, cage, space… Finally there’s a bloodcurdling scream!  I jump out of my skin and we’re plunged into darkness—
Unfortunately, not before we saw the man in the gorilla costume open a door in the cage, peeking out.  Can you believe it?  I was TOTALLY freaked out and they RUINED it by that guy’s lousy timing!  When the lights came back up and we saw him banging around in the cage, it was just a minimum wage employee making a buck.  Seriously: that was going to be the last time I got caught up in the hype!!
~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment