Monday, February 10, 2020

2020: Let's Get It Started!


It seems like such a long time since I have written a post. It’s been a rather challenging few months but baby I’m back!

I’m not going to bore you with the…less than stellar things that have happened. But I will tell you about Marie. I didn’t make this info public previously because I didn’t want to put a damper on anyone’s holiday. Christmas Eve morning I woke up to find Marie on the floor in the dining room. She had fallen but was conscious. I had no idea how long she had been down, and neither did she. Brie came to help me get her up but we couldn’t, so I called Clancy and he came. It took the 3 of us to get her up (she was weak so it was dead weight). We got her on the couch and then I called 9-1-1. Long story short: she was taken to the hospital where we discovered she had a hematoma on her brain, which may have caused a mini stroke and that’s why she fell. However, because of her age and overall health, a biopsy cannot be performed so we won’t know if it’s benign or not, or even how long she’s had it.

The original plan was for her to eventually go to a nursing home or hospice. But because she’s the comeback kid, she improved! She is walking with her walker, talking and there doesn’t seem to be much difference in her memory from before the fall. She’s eating 3 square meals a day too, ha ha. She is currently in rehab but will be going home on February 20th. Who says God isn’t on the throne???

I’m not sure how long she will be able to be home. She knows she has to be mobile, otherwise I can’t take care of her. So I’m sure that is impetus enough for her to stay strong, as long as the hematoma lets her. The dogs have missed her; and would climb up in her chair and snuggle under her blankets. When the EMTs were at the house, Lilly climbed up on my mother and barked to keep them away from her. But because she weighs 8 pounds, it was easy to lift her off and hold her so they could do what they needed to. As for Victoria the cat: let’s just say she’ll be glad to have her old sparring partner back!

I never thought this was how I was going to ring out the old year and ring in the new, but here it is. I’m looking for things to improve from here, so cheers and a belated Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment