Sunday, August 19, 2012

Worth The Wait?

After church today, I had to stop at Hannaford to pick up some food for the greedy and unemployed pets. (Seriously, I know they don't have opposable thumbs but surely they could so something). As I was getting out of the car Marie (yes, she was riding shotgun!) says, "If you see anything in there with my name on it you can go ahead and get it for me." Really Marie?? But I digress...

Anyhoo, I go in the store, grab a cart and slowly make my way through the store. When I had all of my purchases, I realized I hadn't gotten anything for Marie. Having limited funds, I tried to think of something economical I could get, and that led me to the cookie aisle. She loves the Anna's Ginger Thins, and after some real searching I found them on a lower shelf. Then I proceeded to meander my way down the cookie aisle, trying to decide what kind of cookie I would buy, if I was in the mood for cookies.  Eventually, I ended up at the Oreos, America's greatest cookie. And they're always on sale! But I had eaten some last week, so I wasn't even tempted.

Then I looked up, way up on the top shelf, and I saw them: Nabisco's Famous Wafers.  If you aren't familiar with this cookie, it comes in an oblong yellow box with a cellophane cover so you can actually see the famous wafers. They are what looks like a flat dark chocolate cookie thin. There's no description on the box, but there are a couple of recipes on the bottom. And the price: since it's on the top shelf, it's a whopping $4.69!

Now, I have been noticing these Famous Wafers since I was a child. But I've never had one. Why? I really can't say.  I always think about buying them. I think about what they might taste like. Yet maybe, since it's on the top shelf, like fine liquor, I think they're overpriced. Do I really want to take the chance of buying a pack of cookies, paying top dollar, and then finding out I don't like them? However, I do love dark chocolate. And I do love Nabisco cookies.  So maybe...

Okay, now that I'm obsessing about these cookies, I can do one of 2 things. I can wait until payday and plunk down the $4.69 to buy a package, or I can wait until my birthday and have someone else pay for them!  But will that count towards a real present, so I'm gypped on something else??  Looking at it from that angle, I think I'll buy them myself.  But after coveting them for 40 years: they'd better be worth the wait!

I'll let you know... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment