Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Karma Came Back

 Several years ago I was working at a job I really enjoyed (at the time). I worked in Safety & Environmental Health, which was Security, Ergonomics and the like. 

One part of my job was making badges for employees. You wouldn't think it, but I got a sense of power about this aspect of my job. I was the one to make you look good, or not so good. By this I mean there were people who didn't like how their first shot looked so they would ask me to take another one. And another one. And another one...

After a while, I would accommodate requests from friends, etc. But if you were on my "list": nah, you were SOL.

One day this group of new employees came to get pictures taken. I'm not sure who this one woman thought she was, but I wasn't having it. It was like she wanted a portfolio to look through before she chose one. I finally told her, "I'm sorry, but the camera only takes what it sees." The other people started laughing and she was spluttering. Yeah, was pretty proud of putting her in her place with that one!

Fast forward to last week.  The Marketing and Communications department sent out an email that they would be taking new headshots if anyone wanted a new one, or hadn't had one taken. I was thrilled to read this because I thought in my original headshot, six years ago, I looked like a toad. So after losing weight, keeping it off and feeling pretty good in spite of a rough couple of years, I was ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille! (yeah that's an old person saying, ha ha)

I excitedly wore a new dress last Thursday and my hair was looking fabulous. Eric, the photographer, helped me set up my best angles and he took probably five or six different shots. Afterwards he showed them to me and we decided on the best one. I couldn't wait until he sent it to me!

I got the email yesterday and excitedly opened it. Let's just say I should have waited. I looked great in the little preview picture, but the real sized one, to me, showed off the strain of the last two years. Ugh! I was so disappointed! I'm not sure how I thought I would look, since I see myself every day, but apparently the camera cannot shave 20 years off of your face! I did NOT look like I was 30! 😢 (for those who know me: stop doing math in your head!)

That was God's way of humbling me. He knew I shouldn't have wielded so much power over people way back then, when they just wanted to look good in their pictures. Now I know how they felt. So yeah: karma is a bitch, and I was too. Pride goeth before a fall; but I've learned my lesson! And I'm starting a new regimen tonight, so the next time I get my picture taken I'll feel confident enough to actually show it to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment