Friday, February 16, 2024

It's A God Thing

I had two interesting things happen to me this week, that could only be classified as tiny miracles. The first one happened on Monday. I needed to get some dog food and treats for the tiny terrors. Brie and I headed to Target after work. I had 2 gift cards with me: one with about $14 left on it and one from 2022 that said it was $10. I figured between the two of them it should cover the dog items.

So I gathered up a variety of Vivian and Lilly's favorite foods (not spoiled at all!) and a big bag of their favorite chicken jerky ($15 by itself!) and headed for the cashier. We chatted as he rang me up, and I opened my little clutch to get the gift cards. 

Uh oh: I could only find the one for $10! Frantically I dug around some more, but to no avail. I handed him the $10 one and continued to root around, finally realizing I would have to use some cash. Then the cashier said, "Thank you." I looked at him, and he continued, "You have $18 left on this card." "Um...say what?" The cashier showed me the receipt as he handed me the card. "Yeah, it has $10 written on it but it rang up as $50. Must be your lucky day!" "I'll say! Thank you!" As I walked out I thought 'what the heck'? I had purposely not used that card because it was only $10, but I guess the joke was on me. Or maybe the person who gave it to me! Hey, either way I was very grateful 😊

Yesterday after work I had to stop at Hannaford to get the dogs their oven roasted rotisserie chicken breast, which is what they prefer for breakfast 😖 So I had three things to get: the chicken, four cans of chicken for chicken salad for me and Brie, and my chocolate Pot du Crème, which is like very fancy (read expensive) pudding. So delicious! I knew exactly how much cash I had, and it was enough to cover my purchases.

I pick up my items and then leisurely made my way to the cashier. We chatted as she rang up my items. I then unzipped my clutch to get out my $20. Hmm...I didn't see it. I began a deep dive yet only singles, no $20 appeared. Mortified, I asked the cashier if she could just void my sale and I'd move to the side to find the rest of my money so I wasn't holding up the line. Then, the lady behind me said, "How much are your items?" "$16 and change," I replied. "I'll pay for it." I gaped at her. "Oh that's not necessary, I know that $20 is in here somewhere!" She opened her wallet and handed a $20 to the cashier. "I'm happy to pay for it. This is money from my Super Bowl winnings!" I had to chuckle. "Well that's the only good thing the Chiefs did for me!" The cashier gave her her change, and I thanked her profusely. "Thank you and may God bless you!" She smiled. "I could use that!" Then I left.

I made sure to say a prayer of blessing for that nice woman. Of course I was a bit embarrassed because I figured maybe they might have thought it was a scam or something, but nope! Just an opportunity for God to show he's in my corner. And who knows? That woman could have been an angel sent to make sure the dogs got their deli chicken! Either way: I am so very grateful for my two tiny miracles. And I'm not talking about the dogs!



No comments:

Post a Comment