Monday, September 25, 2023

I Knew it Would Be One Day...

 You know it's going to be one day, but you never expect it to be that particular day. I was at work on September 22 when my cell rang. The caller ID said Elderwood, which is where Marie was. I answered and was told that I might want to come see her as soon as possible, since they didn't believe she would make it through the weekend. I called Brie, who said she would drive me. I texted Clancy, who said he and Keith would visit her the next day. But I told him they might want to go up that day because there were no guarantees.

Brie and I got there and I went to Marie's room. Wow, she looked so tiny in her bed. Of course she was only 4'11" but had lost weight. I told her I was there and she opened her eyes a couple of times to see me. I had made a gospel playlist on my phone and played some of her favorite songs as I talked to her. I apologized for some things, told her I loved her, told her some funny stories while I rubbed her hand and stuff. I didn't want any regrets and wanted her to be at peace too. Finally Keith and Clancy got there and I moved to the background so they could talk to her. Of course she opened her eyes for them for a few minutes because they were her boys, ha ha. I knew this was hard on them but they held up pretty well. Then it was time to go.

The final call came first thing Sunday morning and I knew even before I saw the caller ID. She passed September 24, 2023 and I told them I would be up as soon as I got a hold of Clancy. I was glad that it was just he and I, since it was hard seeing Marie with no life left in her. I again told her I loved her, as did Clancy, and we collected her personal effects: donating the clothes. When I opened her nightstand, I found a container full of cards; and also a memory scrapbook full of pictures and captions of her family! My cousin Kathy had made it and sent it to her. It was amazing, and I'm so glad I found it. I was so happy to see so many indications of the love people had for her.

I don't think I'll ever forget how she looked. Not in a bad way, because to me it looked like she had inhaled her last breath and then passed. However, I know she exhaled that breath in Heaven. Hallelujah!

Her wake was 10.1.2023, and her funeral was 10.2.2023 and she is buried with my father in the Saratoga National Cemetery. I am so grateful for everyone that came (especially my cousin Ann who came up from North Carolina),  everyone that sent flowers and cards, emails and texts. The kind gestures were very much appreciated.

There is a lovely framed photo of my parents that Kitty hung in our living room.  I like having it there.

Marie, I'm glad that you are happy and healthy and with your loved ones that passed before you. Cuddle Pumpkin for me, and try to be nice to Victoria! 😘 You will be missed.

"I will arise, I will go to Jesus, He will embrace me in his arms, In the arms of my dear Savior, There will be 10,000 charms."



Just a couple of her beautiful arrangements. Much love to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment