Monday, November 15, 2021

Live at the Acropolis

Most of the best concerts I have seen on PBS, I have found by accident. Either channel surfing, which I dislike, or I use the channel guide. 

Well way back in 1993, I was channel surfing and happened across a concert that was just beginning. It was  Yanni - In Concert, Live at the Acropolis. What was this? I wondered to myself, as the camera showed beautiful scenery and ancient ruins of Greece. Finally, it showed the most beautiful thing of all: Yanni himself, bedecked in white with a black tie and black belt, standing in the middle of three keyboards.  Well, I thought: what have we here? 

"Yiannis Chryssomallis, known professionally as Yanni, is a Greek-American composer, keyboardist, pianist, and music producer. Yanni continues to use the musical shorthand that he developed as a child, blending jazz, classical, soft rock, and world music to create predominantly instrumental works."** And was the best looking man I had ever seen! Dark moustache, long dark hair, soulful brown eyes and a musician: what wasn't to like?

Needless to say: I was mesmerized. Where had this man been hiding? I watched this concert from beginning to end, and besides his good looks: the music was amazing. He had a full orchestra, and the standout for me was the black woman who, unlike the others, wasn't wearing all black. Nope: Ms. Karen Briggs, American violinist extraordinaire, was wearing a drop-dead red ensemble and was sitting right up front. You go girl! She was the featured violinist and at one point did a dueling violins song with the conductor! Karen didn't even break a sweat! Fabulous! To this day that performance still gives me chills.

Being me, you know I had to tell everyone I knew about this, and they made fun of me as was expected. Who cared? The concert was fantastic, the music was fantastic, my husband Yanni was fantastic...Yep, right up until I realized he was dating Linda Evans of Dynasty fame. Seriously? When he could have had me? At that point our imaginary romance was over. Ugh, the camera even panned to her a couple of times, with her big shoulder pads. Whatever.

However, even Linda Evans couldn't detract from that concert. I was given the DVD one Christmas, and you know I wore that out. But I still have the CD!

And one last thing: apparently I was so enamored of Yanni, the following year, 1994, I actually met and dated a gentleman that looked like Yanni! Same moustache, same flowing long hair, same build but he had gorgeous green eyes instead of brown. I knew at that point I had done something right: until it went wrong. If you want that story, you will have to hunt for my post entitled Yanni Jr.!

So if you get a chance, just check out the concert on YouTube with an open mind. You won't be sorry/ I'm listening to it right now while I work. Okay, every so often I sneak a peek at YouTube and watch for a couple of minutes. Shh...don't tell my boss. It will be our little secret! 😉

**Courtesy of Wikipedia



No comments:

Post a Comment