Friday, April 30, 2021

The Other "Family"

 Kitty thinks we are nuts. However, Brie and I have another family.

Many, many years ago, to amuse Brie, I would make up stories featuring her teddy bear Cocoa. This bear is now 39 years old, so he's been around since she was a baby. Anyhoo, Cocoa was her best friend and I would make him "come to life", and he would talk to her and keep her entertained.

As time marched on, we acquired more magical stuffed animals that would also come to life, and they became part of our extended family. Cocoa's best friend was Sherwood, a smart, fancy little bear in a newsboy hat, a plaid vest and spectacles. He had a deep voice for a little bear, and always bragged about his good grades in school.

As the family grew bigger, we got very creative with voices. And names. And histories. Let's see if I can name the key players and give you a bit of background: Cocoa was the first, followed by Sherwood. Then, in no particular order (because I can't remember!) we have Sherwood's cousin Rosie; Foo Bunny and Heather Bunny (twins) and their mother Mrs. Foo; Peter who is the rich bunny who lives next door (and has a chauffeured limousine and an in-ground pool) but for some reason lives with us; Bobo the gorilla, his sister Africa and parents Mr. and Mrs. Bobo; Iggy the Iguana, his father Mr. Iggy who is a 5-foot crocodile (and starred in the movie Lake Placid, among others) and his mother Mrs. Iggy (who is a rabbit); Timmy who is a bear that looks like a clown but isn't scary, his father Mr. Timmy who is a stay at home dad who babysits all of the "kids" when they're not in school, and Mrs. Timmy who likes to sing and drink a little and is a big shot at the hospital; Tommy who is a Tasmanian Devil, and his parents (who we "hear" but don't see). Yes: this took a lot of imagination!

We have moved a few times and the families move with us: I put them into a "deep sleep" so they don't realize they are in a hefty bag and maybe in the basement until I can find a place for them all! We once lived in a very spacious and lovely townhouse; and my master bedroom was so big I had room to line them all up around the room against the walls. I loved seeing them all together! That room also had a walk-in closet, room for a desk, a queen-sized bed and 2 recliners! Boy do I miss that place! But I digress...

Mr. Iggy was my greatest acquisition. We had been talking about him, and his story was he was a movie star in a lot of movies so he didn't get home much. In reality (seriously?) I couldn't find him. I was scheduled to go away on a business trip and was at Price Chopper to buy food for the house until I returned. As I was going down an aisle I happened to notice a huge box with big stuffed animals in it. I took a cursory look and then practically dove into the box. There was a big stuffed crocodile! I put him in my cart and headed to the checkout line.

Now if you know anything about me, you know I couldn't just take him home and trot him upstairs. Oh no: I had to be creative with it. So I got home and rang the doorbell. Brie came to the landing. "Why are you ringing the bell? Do you need help with the groceries?" I answered, "No, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving you and your sister home alone while I travel. So I wanted to introduce you to your babysitter." "Mom! We're too old for a babysitter and will be fine!" I was stubborn. "I insist. Hold on." Barely able to contain myself, I grabbed the stuffed animal, ran back to the stairwell and screamed, "IT'S MR. IGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She and I were both jumping up and down and then she ran down the stairs to grab him and hug  him. "He'll be the best babysitter ever! And Iggy and Mrs. Iggy will be so glad to see him!"

Yes: we said this as if it was actual reality. That's how caught up in our stories we were. But Mr. Iggy's family was glad to see him after he was shooting on location for so long, ha ha! 

Brie keeps telling me that I need to write a children's book series featuring the stuffed animals. One day I just might do that! I have at least 25 years of stories, so that could be royalty checks forever! Stay tuned...😊

This isn't the original Mr. Iggy. Luna used that one as a scratching post until he was in tatters. This is the replacement Mr. Iggy. I actually bought 2 of them: just in case! One is in my bedroom and the other one is in the backseat of my car. As hard as he was to find: I had to have a spare!





  



No comments:

Post a Comment