Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Musical Memories

My oldest brother Carl is almost as big a music fanatic as I am. Recently he sent me some CDs with old school R&B songs. I finally had a chance to throw one in my car's CD player and was immediately taken back to favorite memories of hearing some of those songs. Of course most of those memories included me as a minor in a dance club but hey: it was the '70s! And those songs made me think of other songs and memories. Here are a few of those that really make me smile:

  • Deniece Williams' Free - Underage, I was deejaying at the Golden Grill Disco. At the end of the night you always played a slow song so people could get up close and personal before leaving. I called from the deejay booth to this girl named Sheila (aka Thunder Thighs), "Sheila what do you want to hear?" She smiled up at me and said, "Free" because she had been dancing with this really good looking guy that she ended up leaving with. You're welcome Sheila!
  • Patrice Rushen's Forget Me Nots - I'm at the Golden Grill Disco in Saratoga Springs dancing with Aaron Hamilton. I was wearing a long white skirt, lavender top and killer high heels. He was wearing jeans and a basketball jersey. He was a great dancer (and cute!) but just up for the summer.
  • Earth Wind & Fire's Reasons - Oh yeah, one of those long slow jams by one of the greatest bands of all time. Fine Phil Alloway was the lucky gentleman that got to dance with me. He was an Engineering student at RPI and we did end up dating until he was recruited by Proctor and Gamble and moved away. 
  • Bohannon's Let's Start the Dance - Oh this song, and Henry Roberts. He became one of my favorite dance partners, and I had such a crush on him! But of course, he was in love with my frenemy's little straight-haired cousin. But she had her sights set on someone she deemed better. Who could have been better than Henry in 1978?? I loved that guy and all eyes were on us when we hit the dance floor. I held out hope for that guy, right up until I found out that he was married  and had a son. That put a speedy end to any thoughts I may have been secretly harboring: but we were still able to remain friends for several years. I wonder whatever happened to him? 
This is just the tip of the ice berg. I think I'll do this again real soon because during this pandemic we all need as many things to make us smile, as we can get!


By the way, here are a couple of quick updates:


  • The woman who is in front of Planned Parenthood every day with her sign that reads "I regret my abortion", has a new friend. A gentleman has a sign that reads, "Choose life: your mother did"; and also the commandment "Thou shalt not kill". (see My Rant for Today)
  • Whatever happened to my Pepperidge Farm Geneva cookies??? They were in the store earlier this year and now they're gone!! I can't find them anywhere! So of course I emailed the company to see why they were punishing me. They wrote back: "Thank you so much for contacting us. Our cookies are still available in your area." Then they listed two locations where the cookies were supposedly going to be. I went to the first one: NOPE! And the same with the second location which was around 10 miles away. So again: another favorite of mine bites the dust. 😞 (see Whatever Happened To...)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment