Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Songs

Even though I will listen to Christmas music whenever I need to during the year, it seemed like this season was so short: there wasn't enough time to listen to all that I wanted to. I will even listen to this music after the holiday is long gone so I can continue to enjoy it.


We started listening to the holiday music channel on November 1st. Every night we'd leave it on for Vicky-toria so she could listen to it while she slept. Hey: even cats like Jingle Bells!


So with this in mind, and since it's Christmas Eve, I'm going to give you the rundown of my favorite Christmas songs. I'm sure they will all surprise you, and they are in no particular order.
  • Sleigh Bells - I love the instrumental. You can practically see the horses pulling a sleigh through the wintry countryside; and the trumpet at the end sounds like the neighing of a horse.
  • Little Saint Nick - Gets my toes tapping and makes me smile.
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem - Tells a lovely story of the place where Jesus was born.
  • Carol of the Bells - As much as I love this song, I have never been able to figure out the words! But I love the melody.
  • Silver Bells - my elementary school music teacher used to sing this at every Christmas concert the chorus had. She had a beautiful contralto voice and we all loved to hear Miss Bradley sing. And we were even more happy when she became Mrs. Corbin!
  • O Come O Come Emmanuel - I love singing this in church every Christmas season; and especially hearing choirs sing it at church.
  • Christmas Canon - I always said I would walk down the aisle to Pachobel's Canon in D, and this is the Christmas version of that song. It's hauntingly beautiful.
  • The entire Ray Conniff Christmas CD - if you haven't listened to it: you should!
  • Any Christmas music by the 101 Strings - I love stringed instruments, and when they are playing songs of the season it's even better.
  • Must Be Santa - When this song comes on, I get so excited my girls look at me like I'm nuts. Maybe it comes from a childhood memory that I can't recollect, but I love it soo much! I don't know why, but it makes me smile and clap my hands and bounce in my seat and sing along, even though I can never get the words right. But who cares? It's Mitch Miller!
So there you have it: my list of favorite songs of the season. I hope you got to hear all of your favorites as I did mine. I also hope you get to spend Christmas with the ones you want to: and not the ones you have to :)


With that being said: Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment