Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Memory 2


This memory comes from just 4 years ago, if memory serves. Each year for the past several years, I invite people to stop by on Christmas Eve for a snack, or to play games or just to visit because I love to entertain. Even if it’s just for a few minutes I like to see people to wish them a Merry Christmas.

But this particular December, I wanted to do something different. I decided that I wanted to make a beautiful Christmas Eve dinner just for me and my girls. Afterwards people could come over: but dinner was just going to be the three of us.

So for this special event I went to the local butcher shop (love those!) and purchased a prime rib for us to have for dinner. This was something that I love, but I’d never cooked before. I was so excited at the prospect of serving this: right up until I brought it home and Kitty announced, “I don’t like that.” I told her that in that case she didn’t have to have any but could eat the sides and be satisfied with that. Seriously? How could she be my child and not love beef???

Anyhoo, I told people that my house was closed for dinner, but afterwards the usual open house would be in effect. I fortunately had the day off, so I spent it cleaning and then putting dinner together. I wanted it to be special, so I set the table with placemats, real china, lit candles and took out the large wine goblets. Granted: we didn’t have any wine, and I don’t drink anyway, but that Iced Blue Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid sure looked pretty in those glasses!

During this time Kitty mentioned how good the prime rib smelled. I told her she couldn’t have any because she hated it. Of course I was kidding: I said she could have a tiny piece to taste.

And what do you know? That one taste turned into an entire serving because it was delicious! My first prime rib and it must have been delicious for Kitty to eat it, because she doesn’t even eat steak. Or maybe it was because the only other item on the menu was Mandy’s finger rolls. I was so excited about the meat, and I love finger rolls sooo much, I kind of let the other food slide. But it didn’t matter because it was a lovely dinner; we toasted each other with the Kool-Aid in the fancy goblets and just had a great time with just the 3 of us. Then after dinner we quickly cleaned up and opened the doors to a few friends and a couple of family members to drop in.

I sure would like to have that prime rib dinner again. And maybe this time: have a salad or a vegetable too!

No comments:

Post a Comment