Tuesday, November 29, 2022

What They're Missing

 I received the local obituaries in my inbox this morning as I always do, for some reason. Maybe because last year, being late to the party, I found out that a friend of mine had died from covid several months ago, and I was devastated that I hadn't known so I could have reached out to the family. Hence my every morning delivery.

Anyhoo, when I opened them the first name that I saw was very familiar, although I didn't personally know the gentleman. He had died Thanksgiving morning surrounded by his loving family. Reading through, I realized that yes: he was the grandfather of a good friend of mine who was mentioned as a survivor of the deceased. So I sent him a quick text expressing my condolences. I was rather shocked at what I received back:

"Thank you. I don't even know him. I never even talked to the guy. He must be a real big piece of crap to not wanna have even met me. How did you hear that he died?" Hmm...apparently the grandfather wasn't surrounded by all of his family when he died; but just the loving ones indeed! 

I was getting ready to text him when he called me. I told him I had seen the obituary. Nope: no one had told him or his father that the man had died on Thanksgiving, no less. He wanted to tell his father before anyone else beat him to it. I said, "You really never met him?" He replied, "Nope, and now I don't have to worry about meeting him. I'm not sure how heaven and hell work. But I hope wishes can send someone to hell, because I hope he's there and his wife goes with him."

Listening between the lines, I realized there was a lot of hurt there. To know that your grandfather was local, but never wanted to meet you. And I'm pretty sure I deduced why...

First of all, I love my friend. He is funny and charming and business smart. We get together periodically and always have the best time and the best laughs. And he tells me everything. So thinking about how his family represents itself in public, I knew why the grandfather didn't want to meet him. It's because he is half Mexican, and that "sullies" the bloodline.

You would think that in this day and age, something like that would be considered ridiculous. But no: it still happens and could be generational with the grandfather. His father and mother haven't been together in many years, but the family still wasn't approving of this. So they ended up shunning the father and my friend.

That's really a shame because they don't know what they're missing. He is generous and enthusiastic about life and the glass is always half full. He has a great sense of humor and tells the funniest stories. He continuously works to better himself and hurts no one, although I know at times he has been hurt. And he's pretty easy on the eyes!

So it hurts me that he has an entire side of his family that dismisses him for a lame-ass reason. It isn't my place to say who this incredible young man is, but I'm going to pray a blessing for him. He knows I am always there for him. And I will pray that he rises above the bitterness, hurt and anger because he's better than that and better than the haters. The people in his life that love him, like me, are his family. And I'm going to get him to church so he doesn't really wish people to go to hell. Thankfully, God takes care of that. 🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment