Thursday, May 5, 2022

Again: Only Me!

 I had a couple of medical tests scheduled for Tuesday of this week. I had only told one person because I don't like all the questions and people continuously mentioning it because it's stressful. I needed to wear something easy to get out of since I was going to work first, then going to the hospital, and then back to work.

I looked in my closet at the clothes Kitty had hung up for me (thanks Kitty!) and noticed this denim-colored poet shirt. I had no recollection of this top, but it was cute and I had a pair of flats that would perfectly match it. So I got dressed, feeling good in this outfit (including leggings) and went happily on my way.

I left work at 9:15 for my appointment and checked in without incident. I hoped I would get the same person I had last time, but I got another radiology tech who was just as friendly. She complimented me on matching my shoes to the shirt. When we reached the inner sanctum, she told me to undress to the waist, put on the gown with the opening in the front and she would come to get me. Easy enough and I'd done it dozens of times before.

I opened the little locker, stashed my purse inside and commenced to following her edict. And here's where the fun began. As you may know, I have a bad left shoulder with limited range of motion. So sometimes taking a shirt off over my head can be a challenge. However, I have learned to compensate for this. 

So I started to pull my arm from the left sleeve, but there wasn't enough 'give'.  Then I started to try the right arm, but that didn't work either. I figured if I bent over and pulled the sleeves it would work: but it didn't. Then I tried to pull it over my head but that was also unsuccessful. Now I was a bit stressed because it was taking so long. Then I thought maybe if I took my b-r-a off (Flashdance style) maybe that would free something up and the shirt would come off. Nope! I couldn't even get the b-r-a off! Seriously! Then I thought, "If I pull the front of the shirt over my head, then I can just pull the sleeves down and all will be right with the world!" Famous last words...

Oh, the front of the shirt went over my head all right: but that's as far as it went. I was unable to pull the sleeves so the shirt would come off. I was unable to reach back up to put the shirt back over my head. So there I was in quite the predicament. Sadly, I knew I had to get help. I peeked out of the dressing room. "Um, hello?" "Yes!" the perky tech called from the testing room. "Are you ready?" "Um, no, I need some help." She came bustling over. "Yeah...I'm kind of stuck in my shirt."

And yes she started giggling. "What did you do?" "I have a bad shoulder and was trying to get out of this stupid shirt and we see what happened." Still giggling, she said, "Of course I'll help but I'm short so you might have to bend over." I did, so she could pull the shirt back over my head. Then I had to sit on the little bench and raise my arms so she could pull it from the bottom and up and over my head. Yep: just like the toddler that I am. "Okay, you're all set. Come into the room when you have the gown on." Giggling, she left.

Stupid shirt! I knew that this was going to be the story told around her dinner table that night! How do I always get myself into these strange situations?

The actual tests were conducted without incident; and afterwards I was able to get back into the shirt without having to call a S.W.A.T. team for assistance. Note to self: next time be smart and wear a button down shirt!

P.S. Test results came back fine 😊 God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment